Sex & Food

tikibanjo

Chirping
Feb 29, 2020
Oxford, Ohio
So, I have 24 chickens - 8 roosters and 16 hens. Definitely going to reluctantly cull 5 or 6 of the roosters, and may get a few more hens. I have a (French) Bresse supplier, which are supposed to be the finest meat birds on planet Earth. 3 roos and a hen at the moment. A variety of other birds - Lavender Marans, Blue Buff Columbian Orpingtons, Lavender Olive Eggers, French Black Copper Marans, Black Olive Eggers and White Marans.

We would eventually like to raise layers and meat birds (at the moment, we’re just focusing on and enjoying the eggs!), but I understand their food requirements and supplements are probably a bit different. If I feed layer supplements, the bag from the store says it should never be fed to males at any age. French (American) Bresse are supposed to be finished on something like goat milk/cheese and corn. Lol. So . . .

What sorts of things do folks do to separate them? I have one coop I just built (which all of them stay in), and an old coop that is a little smaller but still in okay shape. About 5000 square feet of run/range.

Back
Top Bottom