Sex Game (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Larrelye, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Larrelye

Larrelye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Thanks in advance! All of these are 5 weeks old.

These are my EEs. I thought they were both hens based on the coloring. I thought I read/saw that roosters are more boldly colored with large splashes of solid colors. But now that they are feathering in so well, the lighter one has longish feathers on the back of it's neck and shoulder area. All the combs look the same to me so I'm worried all my colored layers are roosters! I'd like a pair but would rather 2 layers.

(If a roo, and I breed him with my orphingtons, should I get some extremely friendly, laid back orphingtons that lay green/blue eggs?)

EE 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EE 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My EE mutt is a naughty boy! He is extremely aggressive with the other chicks but not people. They all flap and make themselves big at each other. But this one will drag others around by their feathers. He is especially aggressive with the other EEs and has been MUCH slower to develop. Still he is just more than half the size of my smaller EE, does not fly (even getting on the roost with the rest or jumping onto the stairs leading into the coop seems stressful for this chick) and is not fully feathered. He's also a big baby and cries when separated. He is in time-out for a few days.

Mutt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Polish are the friendliest of the bunch. I think #1 may be a roo. His comb area is darker and seems more pronounced. While they both like to climb on me and enjoy attention, #1 is extremely quick to run up my arm and even attempts to reach my shoulder through the fencing. Hoping for a pair. I LOVE these birds!!

Polish Pair (#1 on left, #2 on right)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polish #1 (my friend)
    [​IMG]

Polish #2
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think all of your EEs are roos, and agree with you so far on the polish.

EEs can be any colour, but if they start having red on their shoulders they are definitely boys. These ones have too red of combs to be girls in my opinion.

If you breed them to the orpingtons you will get mutts (who knows what they will look like!) but they very well COULD get the coloured egg gene. I think I have a few girls out of my 5 EEs - (3 girls 2 boys is my guess), and if neither of the two boys is sufficiently friendly/well behaved, I will breed my pullets to my barred rock rooster, or my silkie rooster and hope for some weird mixes that lay coloured eggs.

I am getting 10 Naked Neck turkens that lay green eggs late April! I am ecstatic!!

I like the colouring on roo # 2 - so if I was to keep one out of the three, I'd keep that one on looks.

But do not breed them if they are aggressive. You don't want that trait passing down.

By the way, all EEs are basically mutts anyway. They are not a breed. Your EE mutt is just as much an EE as the others. As long as they have the coloured gene, they are considered an EE.

3. Larrelye

Larrelye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    What a shame. My children like the white one best because he's the underdog kinda. He looked so pitiful when we brought him home and they loved this. His feathers are space and just looks like he needs "love". They were really rooting for him. I'm pretty sure he has some genetic issues and with his aggressive behavior he will not be tolerated as a rooster! As a roo he's only kept if he is the only rooster and only to keep any of the other girls from taking over the roo position. I was very much looking forward to some colored eggs.

And this is where chicken math comes in? If 2 of my layers turn out to be crowers that means I must go out and buy more straight run easter eggers!? My breeder doesn't sex them.

Thank you so much!

Good luck with your naked chickens! These are some funny looking birds. I bet they are a lot of fun :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It means you need to buy at least 20 more :gig

There were certain tips given, but it didn't work for me. I looked for chicks with eyeliner, as some people have recommended. That wasn't really helpful :p

They say boys are friendlier as chicks. That has proven true for me so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by