Sex-Link breeding: Help and advise wanted.

SupaChickn

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Harrison, Ga
I have SilverLaced Wyandottes, Delawares, and Columbian Wyandotte hens. Im going to be selling chicks at local feedstores this year and wanted to sell sex-linked chicks so i could easily determine sex at hatching as to provide the stores with mostly female chicks and a few males. What breed rooster would be the best fit that would net me the result. I would like to use the same breed rooster with all the females i listed at the beginning. Is there one single breed roo that would provide the sex-link trait with all those females. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks

I have SilverLaced Wyandottes, Delawares, and Columbian Wyandotte hens. Im going to be selling chicks at local feedstores this year and wanted to sell sex-linked chicks so i could easily determine sex at hatching as to provide the stores with mostly female chicks and a few males. What breed rooster would be the best fit that would net me the result. I would like to use the same breed rooster with all the females i listed at the beginning. Is there one single breed roo that would provide the sex-link trait with all those females. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks

A Production red male would do and make excellent layers to boot.

Jeff

I too raise chicks to sell and raised my own rhode island reds and dominiques.I used a heritage rhode island red over some dominique hens for a rosecomb black sexlink. made nice hens but the less than average egg layers due to the heritage breed. Not what egg layers want. All that was too many breeds and pens so now I am working on the auto sexing breeds, the rhodebar and the legbar. I am using some hatchery rhode island red hens and brown leghorn hens to insure the egg laying ability.
I agree with Jeff, any red hatchery rooster would be best.
Would the red rooster over the columbian work for the sexlink? Not sure.

Last edited:
I too raise chicks to sell and raised my own rhode island reds and dominiques.I used a heritage rhode island red over some dominique hens for a rosecomb black sexlink. made nice hens but the less than average egg layers due to the heritage breed. Not what egg layers want. All that was too many breeds and pens so now I am working on the auto sexing breeds, the rhodebar and the legbar. I am using some hatchery rhode island red hens and brown leghorn hens to insure the egg laying ability.
I agree with Jeff, any red hatchery rooster would be best.
Would the red rooster over the columbian work for the sexlink? Not sure.
Well, i have been researching it with yalls help and I think im going to get a New Hampshire Red rooster to go with my ladies. That "should" give me silver females and golden male offspring. Thanks for yalls help. Ill keep you posted of my success/failure lol

Well, i have been researching it with yalls help and I think im going to get a New Hampshire Red rooster to go with my ladies. That "should" give me silver females and golden male offspring. Thanks for yalls help. Ill keep you posted of my success/failure lol
I think your colors are reversed, you'll have gold females and silver males.

Back
Top Bottom