Creating Dual Purpose Sex-links

Mwhit

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
Hey folks,

I thought of an idea and was wondering if this would work.

As the title says, I’d like to create a dual purpose sex link by breeding a New Hampshire rooster and crossing it with a kosher king. Would this work? Or would it not because kosher kings are hybrids to begin with?

The plan would be to eat the cockerels and sell started pullets. My other goal would be to have a 3 lb processed bird at 11-12 weeks which is already very achievable with the New Hampshire’s I have.

Thanks for any input.

Breeding to hybrids generally results in chaos, not a predictable outcome - that said, I'm not familiar with the "Kosher king", there may be some exception to the general rule. Apparently, its Barred Rock over Sussex?

I suppose you could put it in a calculator and check, but are you expecting to breed those offspring in hopes they are still sex linked??? I think you just end up with gold birds that way (hens and roos). Or do you mean only will sex link traits remains to help you sort roos and hens in the NH x kk pairing? If I'm right about the former, then this would be a no.

http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

I get nice sexlinked males from my Asian Black over Calico Princess. Haven't had too much luck between the fertility from my hen (meat spots in 90+% of her eggs), but her barring shows up in the males and my Asian black passes the size onto his sons big time

I get nice sexlinked males from my Asian Black over Calico Princess. Haven't had too much luck between the fertility from my hen (meat spots in 90+% of her eggs), but her barring shows up in the males and my Asian black passes the size onto his sons big time
^^^ and this is why I don't generally comment on genetics - still learning.

TY!

^^^ and this is why I don't generally comment on genetics - still learning.

TY!
It only works because (somehow) the sexlinked Calico Princess females have barring (I think they're sexed through feather growth though, I'm not 100%), so they can pass it on to their sons only, and Asian blacks are big, mostly black birds

Breeding to hybrids generally results in chaos, not a predictable outcome - that said, I'm not familiar with the "Kosher king", there may be some exception to the general rule. Apparently, its Barred Rock over Sussex?

I suppose you could put it in a calculator and check, but are you expecting to breed those offspring in hopes they are still sex linked??? I think you just end up with gold birds that way (hens and roos). Or do you mean only will sex link traits remains to help you sort roos and hens in the NH x kk pairing? If I'm right about the former, then this would be a no.

http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html
Thanks for the calculator link!

I’m only wanting to have the first generation NH x KK be sex linked, with the plans of having a faster growing cockerel for eating, and a hopefully somewhat marketable pullet for egg laying or whatever.

If this doesn’t seem like a great idea, I may just get some barred rock pullets and use those instead.

Interesting! Do you have any photos?

Interesting! Do you have any photos?
Here's the parents (Big Boy and Lady)
20230717_192457.jpg
20230717_192504.jpg
The chicks
Male
20230717_192548.jpg
Female
20230717_192725.jpg

And my elder Son, Cuzco
20230717_192938.jpg