Sex Link Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wrwilliams46, Oct 1, 2014.

1. wrwilliams46

wrwilliams46 New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    I have a new flock of sex-links(12 roosters, 13 hens), and most of the roosters are almost ready to "graduate". I have one rooster(white coloured) who, other than the fact that he is white(which SHOULD make him/her male), LOOKS more like a hen(who are all red). No comb, small tail, etc.

Is it possible that the color gene didn't transfer properly, and this is ACTUALLY a hen, as opposed to a rooster...?

I want to keep 1 rooster with these hens, but if this could actually be a hen, NOT a rooster, I'd like to keep the extra hen, as opposed to turning him/her/it into dinner.

Any thoughts...? Is the sex-link color gene 100%, could this actually be a "bonus" hen, or just a rooster with hormone imbalances...?

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    It's more likely a late developing rooster than a hen that inherited the gene for dominant silver from her mom. Though some very weird things have happened with genetic mutations.

You know you are going to keep him/her, so let us know what happens. Maybe his sex organs never developed, leading to the hormonal imbalance you mentioned. In that case you could end up with a bird that acts like a hen, but can't lay eggs, sort of the worst of everything.

If you want to keep a roo, I'd keep the best looking/behaving in addition to this one, because if it is hormonal and he doesn't mature to a roo, you will probably want to eat him too. I suspect 2 roos with 13 hens will not present any problems and give better fertility than just one.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If it is truly a Red Sex Link (red gene roo X silver gene hen) and it is white, then it is a rooster. As dheltzel suggested, it may just be a late developing rooster. If you want further verification of its identity, post a pic for us and we'll take a look at it.

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Forgot about the very real possibility they mixed up chicks at the hatchery. It could be a Rhode Island White or White Rock (or others) and those are virtually impossible to tell apart as chicks. That would be ideal because then you might have a white hen.

I agree, post some pics and we can say a lot more about this bird. Close up head shot and full body shot would be best.

5. wrwilliams46

wrwilliams46 New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    Pics for reference. [​IMG]

6. wrwilliams46

wrwilliams46 New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    What the rest of the boys look like. [​IMG]

7. wrwilliams46

wrwilliams46 New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    With the girls. [​IMG]

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    She is't a sex-link.
    Where did you get the birds from?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. wrwilliams46

wrwilliams46 New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    With the girls. [​IMG]

10. wrwilliams46

wrwilliams46 New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    They are from Miller Hatcheries in Canada.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by