Sex Link Sexing

Looks like a Delaware pullet. They are a typical choice for the female line in a red sexlink corss, perhaps they just got some Delawares mixed in with the sex links. Luck for you, keep her and one of the cockerels.

Looks like a Delaware pullet. They are a typical choice for the female line in a red sexlink corss, perhaps they just got some Delawares mixed in with the sex links. Luck for you, keep her and one of the cockerels.

I don't believe Miller Hatcheries breeds Delawares. It's more likely a Light Sussex which Miller breeds and uses in its crosses, but I can't see the leg color to be certain.

You are very likely right. I have never heard of Miller Hatcheries before. I believe LS are also silver with Columbian black modifiers like Delawares, so they would work for red sex links also.

You are very likely right. I have never heard of Miller Hatcheries before. I believe LS are also silver with Columbian black modifiers like Delawares, so they would work for red sex links also.

Yes, LS have the silver gene, and some hatcheries (like Miller) do use them for Red Sex Links. There are a number of breeds that carry the silver gene, but other than the LS and Delaware, the only breeds of hen that I am aware of used by any hatcheries for RSLs are Rhode Island Whites, White Rocks, and Silver Laced Wyandottes and this one is obviously none of those.

Wow. That's a lot of info(admittedly, mostly over my head), thanks for that. So the consensus seems that this is a hen, which is a bonus. I'll keep her and see what we've got.

Wow. That's a lot of info(admittedly, mostly over my head), thanks for that. So the consensus seems that this is a hen, which is a bonus. I'll keep her and see what we've got.

She won't quite churn out the eggs at the rate that Red Sex Link hens do, but she should be a good layer. Good luck with her.

I don't think those red hens are red sexlinks, either. They look more like production quality Rhode Island reds to me.

Here's one of my red sexlink hens. Notice the bright, orangeish coloration and white feathers in her neck.

One of my production Rhodies. Note the darker coloration and the black tail feathers--sexlinks would have white tail feathers.

Back
Top Bottom