Sex link with Cochins?

I don't think self blue would work for sexlinking. It's actually solid black with a recessive blue dilute gene. It takes two birds with the self blue gene to produce a chick with that color. When crossed with other colors, they breed like a solid black bird would.

I think the barred rooster and a red hen should work. I might try that and see what happens. If it works, I might try a blue hen next.

A barred rooster will not work to make sexlinks. The barring gene is sexlinked, but only from the mother. A barred rooster can pass his barring gene to both male and female chicks. A barred hen can only pass her barring gene to her male chicks.

A barred rooster will not work to make sexlinks. The barring gene is sexlinked, but only from the mother. A barred rooster can pass his barring gene to both male and female chicks. A barred hen can only pass her barring gene to her male chicks.

Agreed; the rooster must be the solid colored bird and the hen the barred bird for them to be sex-linked.

hi , im new to BYC .
can any tell me that what sex link will be develop whit ...
1 . White cochin rooster and black cochin hen ?
2 . white cochin rooster and buff cochin hen ?
and which color chicks will be from each pair ?

hi , im new to BYC .
can any tell me that what sex link will be develop whit ...
1 . White cochin rooster and black cochin hen ?
2 . white cochin rooster and buff cochin hen ?
and which color chicks will be from each pair ?
There will be no sexlinks with those crosses. Red sexlinks are a red-based rooster crossed with a silver-based hen. A black sexlink is any solid, non-white, non-barred rooster crossed with any type of barred hen.
White in Cochins is usually recessive, so the chicks will likely be black or buff, depending on the mother.

There will be no sexlinks with those crosses. Red sexlinks are a red-based rooster crossed with a silver-based hen. A black sexlink is any solid, non-white, non-barred rooster crossed with any type of barred hen.
White in Cochins is usually recessive, so the chicks will likely be black or buff, depending on the mother.

X2 on junebuggena.

Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

thank alot , i was not aware about that , but wanted d same results as you told about cochin chicks colour .
can you pleas elaborate this line more ... A black sexlink is any solid, non-white, non-barred rooster crossed with any type of barred hen....

thank alot , i was not aware about that , but wanted d same results as you told about cochin chicks colour .
can you pleas elaborate this line more ... A black sexlink is any solid, non-white, non-barred rooster crossed with any type of barred hen....
Sexlinks are a way to tell which chicks are male and which chicks are female at hatching.
To make a black sexlink, you need to cross a barred hen with a non-barred, non-white rooster. A barred hen can only pass her barring to her male chicks. If you used a barred rooster, then all the chicks would be barred. If you use a white rooster, the white will cover the barred pattern. In order to sex the chicks as soon as they hatch it's best not to use either. You also need to use a rooster that had dark enough down, as a chick, to see the white head spot that indicates the presence of the barring gene.
Here are a few examples of my Easter Egger sexlinks.

The male chick is in front, the female chick is in back.

These two are female.

This one is male.

The father and a few of the mothers.

Back
Top Bottom