Sex link

Atwellchickens

Hatching
May 30, 2022
If buff orpington rooster mates with barred rock hens, how do you tell sex link? I've really been trying to read up, but it seems a bit confusing to me. We have 6 in our incubator right now. Three have hatched. 1 has a black head and two of them have lots of yellow. They aren't dry yet, so I can't tell for sure. Any help is appreciated on what to look for specifically.

Thank you!

If buff orpington rooster mates with barred rock hens, how do you tell sex link? I've really been trying to read up, but it seems a bit confusing to me. We have 6 in our incubator right now. Three have hatched. 1 has a black head and two of them have lots of yellow. They aren't dry yet, so I can't tell for sure. Any help is appreciated on what to look for specifically.

Thank you!
Any chicks that hatch with a white spot on their heads are males.

What if the whole head is white with black and white all over? Not just a white spot?
I am new to this as well, but I believe since the female chicks are black, your white and black all over would most likely be male.

There are a lot of factors that go into the genetics, so depending on how pure your birds are, I would think that could have an impact on accuracy. If this is your first time trying it, I would plan to keep the chicks long enough to be more certain, so that you can bring that experience next time.

Back
Top Bottom