Can I tell the gender based off head spots?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I have two chicks. Their moms are both black sex links… the dads are light Brahma (fluffed out) and French black Copper maran… the FBCM BSL mix one is out of the incubator too early because the other chick was getting super lonely and loud. I have her in a safe spot to finish drying in the brooder.

Now for their breeds- can I tell the gender based off their head spots or lack there of like I can a black sex link? Or does the mix ruin that

Attachments

• IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2941.jpeg
    IMG_2941.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 5
No. Only male black sex links get the barring gene. The barring gene causes the head spots in barred chicks. Female BSLs don't inherit the barring gene at all, and don't have the head spots. It's how hatcheries are able to tell males and females apart. So your chicks are not sex linked and you will have to take the normal route of telling gender by comb/wattle size starting at 6 weeks or so.

No. Only male black sex links get the barring gene. The barring gene causes the head spots in barred chicks. Female BSLs don't inherit the barring gene at all, and don't have the head spots. It's how hatcheries are able to tell males and females apart. So your chicks are not sex linked and you will have to take the normal route of telling gender by comb/wattle size starting at 6 weeks or so.
Ahh I was wondering if that’s the case- dang. Thank you!

I have seen many videos of people sexing their chicks by their wing feathers...roos have one length and pullets have 2 sections and their feathers are in a rounded formation for each section.

Back
Top Bottom