Sex Linkage Question

chicky lady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Maryland
I have a broody hen that will hatch eggs any day now. I was wondering if I will be able to tell the hens sex by its parents. I have a black rooster and white and red hens. Does this mean that any chicks that are black will be female and the red or white ones will be roosters?

I don't believe so. I think your best bet is to look at the feathers on the tips of their wings to be able to tell. Have to do it within 48 hours, though. I believe I found the images through google, but I don't remember the site. :( I'll link it when I get home. Or at least try to...

Actually, you can. I've been trying to find the webpage that I wanted to link for you, and I've found a lot of material talking about how roos of a certain color will throw females of the same color, and males of a different color. I don't know if that's always the case, or not, though.

I couldn't find the exact page I was looking at a couple days ago, but here is the link to another page. If you scroll down, it will give you a diagram and explain what you're looking for when it comes to sexing day old chicks. http://www.cobb-vantress.com/products/guide-library/general/broiler-management-guide/appendices. Hopefully that link (works) helps to give you a general idea. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom