Sex Linkage Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicky lady, Feb 22, 2013.

1. chicky lady

chicky lady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Maryland
    I have a broody hen that will hatch eggs any day now. I was wondering if I will be able to tell the hens sex by its parents. I have a black rooster and white and red hens. Does this mean that any chicks that are black will be female and the red or white ones will be roosters?

2. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    I don't believe so. I think your best bet is to look at the feathers on the tips of their wings to be able to tell. Have to do it within 48 hours, though. I believe I found the images through google, but I don't remember the site. :( I'll link it when I get home. Or at least try to...

3. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Actually, you can. I've been trying to find the webpage that I wanted to link for you, and I've found a lot of material talking about how roos of a certain color will throw females of the same color, and males of a different color. I don't know if that's always the case, or not, though.

I couldn't find the exact page I was looking at a couple days ago, but here is the link to another page. If you scroll down, it will give you a diagram and explain what you're looking for when it comes to sexing day old chicks. http://www.cobb-vantress.com/products/guide-library/general/broiler-management-guide/appendices. Hopefully that link (works) helps to give you a general idea. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by