Sex-linked Chocolate Muscovy Breeding Question

chickluvrr

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
In deciding which color muscovys I want I ran across a site about color genetics. It says breeding chocolate with blues and blacks create sex-linked offspring. It doesn't say if other genetic characteristics ( pied or ripple for example ) effect the breeding results. Here's the wording from the website: (http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/genetics.html)

Chocolate is the only sex-linked gene.
chocolate X chocolate = 100% chocolate
chocolate X black = black drakelets that carry chocolate and chocolate ducklets.
chocolate X blue = black and blue males that carry chocolate, chocolate and lilac females.
chocolate X self-blue = black males that carry chocolate and pastel and chocolate females that carry
pastel.
chocolate X lilac = 50% chocolate ducklings, 50% lilac ducklings.

I'm looking to pick up a few babies this coming weekend and they have a lot of colors available so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ok its really simple if you pretty much breed any color with chocolate you those babies will have a chocolate gene in them , so if they were to breed with a chocolate then they will have the majority of chocolate babies

pied is just a color and white, if a white duck mates with a blue they will be blue and white, blue pied, because white is a dominate gene it codominates with another color

ripple is a little tricky, its like barred but its when they just have little color and its more of a lacing, its really complicated to explain ripple just know if you have two bar reds you will have a only a slight chance of getting ripple but then when you mate those offspring from the barred parents with that of a duck with pencil in or lacing you get a ripple, i think thats how it works but I'm not sure.

Ok, thanks. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on muscovy color genetics out there. So if I want to try to breed sex-link muscovy babies it won't matter if the chocolate is a pied chocolate or a chocolate ripple?

I know this is an old post, but does it matter if you're breeding a male chocolate to blue female or a blue male to a chocolate male? I have a whole clutch of chocolate ducklings and was planning on keeping the females and getting a blue male. Will this work?

I know this is an old post, but does it matter if you're breeding a male chocolate to blue female or a blue male to a chocolate male? I have a whole clutch of chocolate ducklings and was planning on keeping the females and getting a blue male. Will this work?
The sex linking ONLY works if the male is chocolate.
So chocolate male x blue female will give you black and blue males that carry chocolate and chocolate and lilac females.
Blue male to chocolate female will give you black and blue males and females, and the males will carry chocolate

Barring and rippling are separate genes, and are recessive. So in order for a duck to show it as a pattern it needs a copy from each parent. So parents must be barred or ripple or carry it in order for offspring to show it.

Offspring of barred mated to ripple gives you looney. The feather pattern is a combination of barring and rippling. My website page for muscovy ducks (alsquackery@weebly) has pictures and an explanation of these patterns

Back
Top Bottom