sex linked deaths

shavore

Hatching
Mar 29, 2017
Rockport Maine
I have about 30 birds about a year old. In the past week I have been losing several birds a week. All birds look healthy and die suddenly. All have a fully formed egg visible in their oviduct. I have no idea what is going on and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BYC!

I would contact your local necropsy lab and ask for a procedure on one of the dead hens.Its hard to diagnosis a death without any pre occurring symptoms.Have you had any disease's in your flock before?Do you offer oyster shells?

I have about 30 birds about a year old. In the past week I have been losing several birds a week. All birds look healthy and die suddenly. All have a fully formed egg visible in their oviduct. I have no idea what is going on and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

What type of food/treats do you feed?
How old are they?
Any photos?

You are seeing a fully formed egg in the oviduct - is it partially sticking out when the hen dies?

Since you are losing several birds a week - as @MasterOfClucker suggests, having a necropsy would be in order.

Watch to see that they are drinking well, add some poultry vitamins to their water and provide a source of calcium free choice (oyster shell).

The birds have access to Oyster shells and the only occasional treats they get are sunflower seeds. I contacted our state vet last night for advice and hope to hear from him this morning. I agree that a necroscopy is in order.i appreciate the feedback! This is the first time I have posted to the forum.I think it's great. Will try to post a photo today.

An update on dying sex linked birds. Lost another tonight... have had a necroscopy done but the results indicated that the birds were healthy
The only comment was that predation might be an issue. The coop is very secure and the deaths occur late in the afternoon. The birds today had just laid an egg and died in the nest box. Looking into the vent several partially formed eggs were visible. Still looking for any explanation that makes sense.

An update on dying sex linked birds. Lost another tonight... have had a necroscopy done but the results indicated that the birds were healthy
The only comment was that predation might be an issue. The coop is very secure and the deaths occur late in the afternoon. The birds today had just laid an egg and died in the nest box. Looking into the vent several partially formed eggs were visible. Still looking for any explanation that makes sense.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Did you happen to take any photos?

You looked in the vent and saw several partially formed eggs - were these in the abdominal cavity or the oviduct?

Did it look like either of these:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...oring-i-opened-her-to-find-this#post_17145142
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1154532/egg-yolk-peritonitis#post_18103856

Back
Top Bottom