Sex- linked Information

He's black and white, so he's likely silver. He's not a good candidate for making any kind of sexlinks. It's the hens' genes that are important for sexlinking. Red sexlinks are red/gold-based rooster crossed with silver (black and white) hens. Black sexlinks can use any non-barred, non-solid white rooster crossed with barred hens.

Got it, so this will be my guy for Sexlinks with my BRs.

Question: (I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but I'm to lazy to find where) Is it true that a Buff orp roo over a Barred rock hen will produce black sexlinks?

Question: (I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but I'm to lazy to find where) Is it true that a Buff orp roo over a Barred rock hen will produce black sexlinks?
All you have to do is go to the first post of this thread. I go there first, then, if I can't find the info in the charts, folks are great about helping. I find that I have to read those charts over and over and over to help get my mind wrapped around the possibilities. And, they don't help with leg or skin color, which I think can also be used to determine gender... not sure if you can definitely call it sex linking (skin or leg color).

All you have to do is go to the first post of this thread. I go there first, then, if I can't find the info in the charts, folks are great about helping. I find that I have to read those charts over and over and over to help get my mind wrapped around the possibilities. And, they don't help with leg or skin color, which I think can also be used to determine gender... not sure if you can definitely call it sex linking (skin or leg color).

There may be some other sex linked traits than the ones detailed in the original post. In fact I know there are, but the main purpose of the post was to explain the sex link traits that are so obvious in their expression that they are used commercially:
1. gold/silver (Red Sexlinks)
2. barred on extended black (Black Sexlinks)
3. slow/rapid feathering (feather sexed)

Yes, it's true. And they are gorgeous birds.

If you look at post #1710 in this thread you can see what a pullet from a Buff Orp rooster and a Barred Rock hen might look like when it grows up and feathers out. This is just one example, there are quite a few different possibilities for final feathers. Yours will probably look different but they certainly can be gorgeous.

I posted in the cream legbar hybrid cross, but no replies.
So I hoped I could find my answer here, if you can please help.
A white or black silkie cockerel over a cream legbar pullet-
Would it be sex linked?
My guess would be yes, but a friend tried with showgirls and didn't see any sex linkage.
I was told this cross should have the tale tell signs in the black skin to determine sex.
Can anyone please help?
Thank you

That cross would produce the sex linked leg color, but only if the hen has solid yellow legs. If she's got even a hint of a dark 'wash', then she might not have the correct genes for the sexlinking to work.

That cross would produce the sex linked leg color, but only if the hen has solid yellow legs. If she's got even a hint of a dark 'wash', then she might not have the correct genes for the sexlinking to work. 
so do you know what colors the girls and boys legs would be?
Thank you so much for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom