Sex- linked Information

Ideal Poultry has both Production Blacks and Barred Hollands. They don't have Silver Leghorns, but they do have Silver Lakenvelders, Silver Hamburgs (penciled or spangled), Silver Campines, and a few other choices for silver based white layers for the red sexlinks.

Ideal Poultry has both Production Blacks and Barred Hollands. They don't have Silver Leghorns, but they do have Silver Lakenvelders, Silver Hamburgs (penciled or spangled), Silver Campines, and a few other choices for silver based white layers for the red sexlinks.
I have always rather fancied the silver spangled hamburgs......ideal was about the only place I was finding the Hollands too

Last edited:
What about taking your thoughts in a different direction: If you put a black Ameraucana Roo over your flock, he'd make BSL with any barred female. And, the resulting BSL, depending on their breed would produce green or blue eggs. I haven't played with the red sex linkage yet. My EE roo (my avatar pic) is producing some beautiful sex links. And I'm getting buff, light olive, aqua, blue, and brown eggs from the pullets he's produced. I couldn't be happier with the egg basket he's providing me with! Of course all of the pullets weren't sex linked, but interestingly enough, there was only one chick produced that I couldn't gender id. b/c they were sex linked, or their leg/comb color was consistent.

What about taking your thoughts in a different direction:  If you put a black Ameraucana Roo over your flock, he'd make BSL with any barred female.  And, the resulting BSL, depending on their breed would produce green or blue eggs.    I haven't played with the red sex linkage yet.  My EE roo (my avatar pic) is producing some beautiful sex links.  And I'm getting buff, light olive, aqua, blue, and brown eggs from the pullets he's produced.  I couldn't be happier with the egg basket he's providing me with!  Of course all of the pullets weren't sex linked, but interestingly enough, there was only one chick produced that I couldn't gender id. b/c they were sex linked, or their leg/comb color was consistent.

This is great to hear for me. I have an EE roo over a mixed flock and am very interesting in seeing how that goes for me.

If anyone could give a little input how we ended up with these colors. They are mixed plymouth rocks.
8 hatched 4 black 4 white. 3 black have spots ob top of there head. One has an owl face. Two of the yellows have buff coloring around neck. o
this one is my favorite. Born yellow with some biff coloring but has barred pattern coming in.
owl face.
this is the buff colored one that now has barred pattern coming in.
these are the hens white rock. Buff rock. Barred rock. They are mixed with a white rock roo ot barred rock roo.

Okay, looking to pick some brains here, have read the chart, thread, etc and do have an understanding of it all, but am looking to confirm my thinking on a plan/look for suggestions.
I am looking to add a flock rooster to our setup and think I have settled on a welsummer. My thought process is that in addition to my production hens I will have a few for hatching eggs in the flock.
If i have thought this out correctly, using the welsummer roo I could theoretically hatch red and black sex links as well as having him over a couple of nice welsummer hens for pure chicks. My production breeds for eating eggs would all be brown or blue/green layers, so selecting white layers for the sex linking would make sorting for hatching easy (the welsummers would be apparent as well as my intent is to be selective as to which hems I keep/use). So silver leghorn hens would be a good choice for the rsl and barred Holland for the bsl. Holland are somewhat rare finds, though, so thoughts on another suitable barred hen choice which would produce easily discernable eggs in a flock of mixed standard brown layers?

Hey, a bit late to the party but wanted to respond to this...

I bought Hollands from Ideal in spring 14 for my blue sex link project. Honestly, I'm not that thrilled with them. They do lay decent sized eggs, but only like 5 a week max. I've also had 2 or 3 just up and die on me for no apparent reason in that time frame. I've decided to overwinter them so I can hatch in the spring, but I'll be ordering the production blacks asap to replace them. They just don't strike me as thrifty, hardy birds. Granted, I have a small sample, but that's my experience.

Something else to consider is cuckoo Marans. I'm not sure how the dark of a Wellie crosses with the dark of a Marans, but it seems logical the offspring pullets would lay dark eggs.

If anyone could give a little input how we ended up with these colors. They are mixed plymouth rocks. 8 hatched 4 black 4 white. 3 black have spots ob top of there head. One has an owl face. Two of the yellows have buff coloring around neck. o this one is my favorite. Born yellow with some biff coloring but has barred pattern coming in. owl face. this is the buff colored one that now has barred pattern coming in. these are the hens white rock. Buff rock. Barred rock. They are mixed with a white rock roo ot barred rock roo.
I think what happened is dominant white. White Rocks can be genetically dominant white, which basically turns black to white. So, lots of stuff can be hiding under that white, and my understanding is the bird is often genetically barred. So, the chicks got the barring, but not necessarily the white. Or, they got the white from dad, but the buff from momma. So you don't have any sex linkage and will have to wait for sex characteristics to tell males from females.

Yes he is my avatar. Would he be a better candidate to make Reds with Rhode Island hens given the white? We think he is gorgeous, has good looking lines and has wonderful flock master skills at under 1 year of age. With everything we have read and learned to this point tells us he is very good stock whatever his breed and are sure his chicks look good.
2 Barred Rocks, 2 Leghorns, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Buff Brahma, and 3 mixes, 2 of which appear to be a Brahma of some sort.
I have another option that I am sure will get me sex links also. I have a Black Australorp roo to mix with the BR's.
Even of I don't get Sexlinks from my EE, as long as I get colored eggs from his offspring, I will be happy. I also have 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Gold laced.

Last edited:
He's black and white, so he's likely silver. He's not a good candidate for making any kind of sexlinks. It's the hens' genes that are important for sexlinking. Red sexlinks are red/gold-based rooster crossed with silver (black and white) hens. Black sexlinks can use any non-barred, non-solid white rooster crossed with barred hens.

Back
Top Bottom