Sex- linked Information

We are looking at running some BSL's over the next year and are planning on using a Black Australorp roo with Heritage Barred Rock hens which should produce pure black hens with red combs and wattles. If our Australorp roo is pure, we are hoping not to see any leakage in the female offspring and have a true sexlink.
The Australorp seems to take to the heat fairly well which is a plus for us in the desert SW.

Last edited:
I want to make sure I have this right..

If I cross a red leghorn roo over a silver leghorn hen I get a red sexlink ,, now ,,if I cross the offspring red sexlink hens with a rir roo I can get black sexlinks ???

I want to make sure I have this right..

If I cross a red leghorn roo over a silver leghorn hen I get a red sexlink ,, now ,,if I cross the offspring red sexlink hens with a rir roo I can get black sexlinks ???
Yes to your first statement, no to the second. For black sexlinks, you need to use a barred hen with a non-barred, non-white rooster.
No matter the type of sexlink you breed, second generation breedings do not produce chicks that are sexable by color.

Last edited:
There is one exception to rule number one; a red sex link that is a non-barred and non-dominant white male can be used in a black sex linked cross.

This is why I ask ..

There is one exception to rule number one; a red sex link that is a non-barred and non-dominant white male can be used in a black sex linked cross.

This is why I ask ..
Yes, but the chick down may be too light to see the head spots on the chicks. That's why male red sexlinks aren't the best choice to use if easy sexing is your goal.

I won't have red sexlink roos..

If I put a rir roo on red sexlink hens I get from a red leghorn roo and a silver hen ..

I won't have red sexlink roos..

If I put a rir roo on red sexlink hens I get from a red leghorn roo and a silver hen ..
You'll get chicks that look like red sexlink pullets or Production Reds, but they won't be sexable by color.

The sexlinking does not carry on after the first generation.

The reason that it works for the first crossing is that the silver hen can only pass her silver color to her male chicks. Red sexlink hens are not silver, but red-base colored. Red is not sexlinked.

Since there is one exception to rule number one;

a red sex link that is a non-barred and non-dominant white male can be used in a black sex linked cross.

I'm not understanding why you can't make a black sexlink with red sexlink hens ..

I understand rule number one very well. I have know it for years. But today is the first time I have heard of the exception.

Back
Top Bottom