1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex- linked Information

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tadkerson, Oct 27, 2009.

1. aChickted

aChickted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Washington
    Will a black copper marans roo over barred rock hens produce sex linked chicks? Would the chicks fall under the same as the 'black sex linked" chicks pictured in this thread with the hen chicks being all black and the roosters being black with a white spot on head?

2. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Ohhh, that's a good question and I'm waiting eagerly to hear the answer!

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The marans x barred rock would give you a sexlink where the males would be barred and females black, some red may show through because of the copper.

4. aChickted

aChickted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Washington
    And the chick down? The males would have white spot and the females would have solid black heads?

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    That is correct, females solid black, males black with white spot like a normal barred chick.

6. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Thanks Michael! I think the sex link thing is very cool.
    Good Luck with your special breed, sounds interesting.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I believe the most acurate sex link menthod is to use Fibromelanotic and sex linked id+ which is the gene responsable for pigment deposits on the shanks....

8. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Will a Rhode Island Red male crossed with a Golden Comet female produce sex-linked offspring?

9. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    no.

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:There just known as a Black Sex-Link.

What happens if he's bred back to a BR hen?

All Male offspring would be Barred and most of the Females would also be Barred but there is a present of the females that will be Black.

Chris​

Chris,
    Why do you say most of the females would be barred? The females will get nothing from the barred mother, of course, but isn't the rooster split Bb and as likely to give a "b" as a "B" to each of his offspring? If you have enough chicks for the averages to mean anything, why wouldn't the odds be 50% - 50% for the females?

I believe Chris knows they would be 50% black and 50% barred. Just some wording did reflect the exact nature of heterozygous barring and inheritance.

Tim

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by