Sex- linked Information

Just wondering if there is any truth to this from a genetics point of view: (Will these produce a sex link as told?)

"Pullets will have dad's slate shanks. Using white LH, you will get white birds with a few spots."

My plan (whether or not it was a sex link) is to put a Wheaten Ameraucana over a White Leghorn. (For personal use/egg layer.)

Help Please. The more I read, the more gets jumbled in my head and not sure which way to go. I would like to create sex linked large bodied (dual purpose) birds. I have several that could potentially work, but I need to lighten up my rooster load, so trying to choose what I need.

Here is what I have for roosters...
Black English Orpington
Blue English Orpington with LOTS of red leakage
Gold Laced English Orpington
Mottled English Orpington

Potential Hens I could use...
Chocolate Cuckoo English Orpington
Cuckoo Marans
Barred Rock
Light Brahma
Cream Crested Legbar (???)
Cuckoo Olive Egger (father was Cuckoo Marans X mother was Welsummer based Easter Egger) (???)

I know I have the right hens, but I need to know if the roosters will work. I really wasn't planning on keeping the Gold Laced Orpington, so if I can do this with one of the others that would be great!

Thanks!

Help Please. The more I read, the more gets jumbled in my head and not sure which way to go. I would like to create sex linked large bodied (dual purpose) birds. I have several that could potentially work, but I need to lighten up my rooster load, so trying to choose what I need.

Here is what I have for roosters...
Black English Orpington
Blue English Orpington with LOTS of red leakage
Gold Laced English Orpington
Mottled English Orpington

Potential Hens I could use...
Chocolate Cuckoo English Orpington
Cuckoo Marans
Barred Rock
Light Brahma
Cream Crested Legbar (???)
Cuckoo Olive Egger (father was Cuckoo Marans X mother was Welsummer based Easter Egger) (???)

I know I have the right hens, but I need to know if the roosters will work. I really wasn't planning on keeping the Gold Laced Orpington, so if I can do this with one of the others that would be great!

Thanks!
All the roosters will work for Black sexlinks. For those, you just need a barred/cuckoo hen and a non-barred, non-solid white rooster. Your Gold Laced Orpington is the only rooster that can be used for red sexlinks, when paired with your Light Brahma hen only.

I'm not sure how much I'd trust that Blue English Orpington with LOTS of red leakage. Red leakage indicates he was crossed with something that might or might not interfere with seeing the spot. I'm jut not sure what that "unknown" might do to down pattern and interfere with seeing the spot for a black sex link. He's probably work but there is that lingering question in my mind. With that qualifier, I agree with June.

You are aware that this only works for the first generation? You cannot use sex links to make similar type sex links.

The leakage won't be an issue with the extended black genes of the Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington, Cuckoo Marans, and the Barred Rock. Will definitely have an impact with the Legbar and the Olive Egger. But the basic rules for barring will still apply. It's just that immediate sexing may not be possible from those hens.

Back
Top Bottom