Sex- linked Information

Aloha kākou,

I am trying to work out the genetics via Punnet Square but cannot do it here. But please help me out on this:

A BCM rooster has two Z chromosomes and both have the recessive gene for non-barring. is b, b for barring. Also EE for black coloring.
A female Cream Legbar has barring on her one Z chromosome (B).

When you breed them, a male chick will inherit a b from the Z chromosome from Dad, and will bet the B from the Z chromosome from Mom. Therefore, the males will all be Bb and show single barring.
The females will only receive the b from the the Z from Dad but nothing for barring on the W chromosome from Mom. So all female offspring will have no barring.

Is this correct?

Thanks, Puhi
Correct, except that the BCM isn't EE, he's Birchen ER.

Similar for shank color.

The male will receive yellow shank from Mom and black shank from Dad, so gray.

The female will receive only black from Dad, so her legs should be black.

Feathering is sparse.

Is that correct?

Thanks, Puhi
A few different genes going on for leg color. First are the skin color genes, white and yellow. Not sexlinked, all offspring will inherit a white skin gene from dad and a yellow skin gene from mom. White is dominant over yellow, so all will express with white skin. The slate wash that produces the black shank is sexlinked, with your pairing. The hen has what is called Id, it's a melanin inhibitor. She will only pass it to her male offspring. The male offspring will have the gene for the slate wash, but it won't express due to the mother's inhibitor gene.

red sex link
1st group
wheaten group

a) Why not a white Plymouth rock maternal stock?
A friend of mine told me that big companies use WPR.

b) If we use a light sussex the tail of the final hybrid hen will be black.
If we use a riwmother, the tail of the final hybrid female will be white.
Is it true?

Last edited:
red sex link
1st group
wheaten group

Is it true.
Read the whole first post. Some color groups work better to produce clearly sexable chicks at hatch.

Some white rocks have silver and recessive white and will work. Some white rocks do not have silver or are based on black with dominant white. These will not work. There are different ways to make white, many of those will not give a red sex link. There is no way to make a solid white bird just using silver, you need recessive white or dominant white to get a solid white bird. That makes any solid white bird problematic unless you know the genetics. The hatcheries know the genetics. You can try it with your white rocks, it may or may not work.

Is it true.

Interesting question. I doubt it will always be true, with either one it will depend some on the father. The Rhode Island White is another of those solid white birds that are problematic. I don’t know what the genetic make-up of the RIW is but several years back I got a bunch of RIR rooster over RIW hen sex linked cockerels from Meyer and they all had white tails. Here is what a few of them looked like.

Feeder.JPG

Some white rocks have silver and recessive white and will work. Some white rocks do not have silver or are based on black with dominant white. These will not work. There are different ways to make white, many of those will not give a red sex link. There is no way to make a solid white bird just using silver, you need recessive white or dominant white to get a solid white bird. That makes any solid white bird problematic unless you know the genetics. The hatcheries know the genetics. You can try it with your white rocks, it may or may not work.

Is it true.

Interesting question. I doubt it will always be true, with either one it will depend some on the father. The Rhode Island White is another of those solid white birds that are problematic. I don’t know what the genetic make-up of the RIW is but several years back I got a bunch of RIR rooster over RIW hen sex linked cockerels from Meyer and they all had white tails. Here is what a few of them looked like.

View attachment 1226413
Oh, dear, the red sex link didn't work, but you got cockerels with such a wonderful feather coloring!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe, the sussex maternal stock is the best.
But, why the tail of the final hybrid hen is white?

Oh, dear, the red sex link didn't work, but you got cockerels with such a wonderful feather coloring!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe, the sussex maternal stock is the best.
But, why the tail of the final hybrid hen is white?

The red sex link worked great, the male chicks were yellow, the female were red. Those were supposed to be all cockerels. They were and tasted great.

Why the white tail? She probably has dominant white genetics. Dominant white turns black feathers white.

The red sex link worked great, the male chicks were yellow, the female were red. Those were supposed to be all cockerels. They were and tasted great.

Why the white tail? She probably has dominant white genetics. Dominant white turns black feathers white.
Oh, sorry, you are right. It worked. I thought some of them in the photo were pullets.

There is no way to make a solid white bird just using silver, you need recessive white or dominant white to get a solid white bird.

You sure?
Problem with silver is that it doesn't cover black.
Birds without black but are gold such as a buff or red can be changed to solid white by switching the gold to silver.

Back
Top Bottom