Sex- linked Information

Pics
I've read this entire thread tonight and my head is ready to explode. If I have this right, I should get sexlinked chicks from my Blue and Black Copper Maran roos with Cuckoo & Golden Cuckoo Maran hens? Also with same roos over SLW hens?
Thanks

Blue is a tricky one and I'm not sure if you are talking about a solid blue rooster or a blue coppper maran.

Blue rooster over Cuckoo hen = Black sex links

Blue rooster over Golden Cucckoo hen = Males will be barred. Females will not. I'm not sure you will be able to see the spot or not.

Blue rooster over SLW hens = Probably not sex links but maybe red sex links.

BCM rooster over Cuckoo hen = Black sex links.

BCM rooster over Golden Cuckoo hen = Males will be barred. Females wil not. I'm not sure you will be able to see the spot or not.

BCM over SLW = red sex links.

Try concentrating on Tim's first post in this thread. Once you figure it out the basics aren't that hard but applying them can get pretty tricky especially with certain colors and patterns. I think it helps to play with this color calculator but its a fairly generic calculator and does not address down color. You have to get the starting genetics right which can be hard. It can be addictive.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

Try not to get frustrated. I'm still a rookie in doing this and make wrong assumptions all the time. But don't be afraid to post your guesses and ask questions. The only way to learn is to make mistakes. That's a big reason I post on this thread. My mistakes get corrected and I learn.

Good luck.

I've read this entire thread tonight and my head is ready to explode. If I have this right, I should get sexlinked chicks from my Blue and Black Copper Maran roos with Cuckoo & Golden Cuckoo Maran hens? Yes-black sex linked or blue sex linked

Also with same roos over SLW hens? No not a black sex linked or a red sex linked
Thanks

Concentrate on the first post in this string. Do not worry about the rest of the posts- many of them do not bother to read the first post with understanding. Sit down with a note pad and some time and slowly read the post. Take notes and read the post. If you do not understand something go back and read the section again. PM me if you have questions. Most members want to make things simple- chicken genetics are not simple. I could make it simple but then individuals want to make exceptions to the simple rules. That is when things start to get confusing.

For example I could say use a Rhode Island male over a silver hen ( Delaware, Light Sussex) hen. Then someone will ask can I use my Rhode Island Red over a Silver Spangled Spitzhauben. The male is the same and the female is silver but this cross will not work.

Tim

Last edited:
Oh God, I didn't think of that!!! I have one blue cuckoo hen and two cuckoo roosters, but plenty of black copper boys around. Hmmmm.

PS. I think you are right on the cross.

I would suggest that you not use blues and produce splash chicks that are splash sex links. It may be difficult to differentiate males from females. Some splash chicks have uniform white down which will not sex very well- if your splash chicks are on the gray side with a darker head, then you can sex them.

Tim

Last edited:
I would suggest that you not use blues and produce splash chicks that are splash sex links. It may be difficult to differentiate males from females. Some splash chicks have uniform white down which will not sex very well- if your splash chicks are on the gray side with a darker head, then you can sex them.

Tim
Tim,

How does that work?

I have 3 splash Ameraucana bantams, and two are 8 weeks, one is 6 weeks. The six week old one is much darker than the others, and by the comb colour and size - it is a male.

Tim,

How does that work?

I have 3 splash Ameraucana bantams, and two are 8 weeks, one is 6 weeks. The six week old one is much darker than the others, and by the comb colour and size - it is a male.

blue/splash is a incomplete dominant gene, and some times behaves like incomplete penetrance.. because of this you should not use blues or splash to make sex links. as the gene effect will very from bird to bird, thats why is always good to use only none blue birds(black)

Blue is a tricky one and I'm not sure if you are talking about a solid blue rooster or a blue coppper maran.
Blue rooster over Cuckoo hen = Black sex links
Blue rooster over Golden Cucckoo hen = Males will be barred. Females will not. I'm not sure you will be able to see the spot or not.
Blue rooster over SLW hens = Probably not sex links but maybe red sex links.
BCM rooster over Cuckoo hen = Black sex links.
BCM rooster over Golden Cuckoo hen = Males will be barred. Females wil not. I'm not sure you will be able to see the spot or not.
BCM over SLW = red sex links.
Try concentrating on Tim's first post in this thread. Once you figure it out the basics aren't that hard but applying them can get pretty tricky especially with certain colors and patterns. I think it helps to play with this color calculator but its a fairly generic calculator and does not address down color. You have to get the starting genetics right which can be hard. It can be addictive.
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
Try not to get frustrated. I'm still a rookie in doing this and make wrong assumptions all the time. But don't be afraid to post your guesses and ask questions. The only way to learn is to make mistakes. That's a big reason I post on this thread. My mistakes get corrected and I learn.
Good luck.
MEE too! LOL

Jeff

Hi there

This is very interesting
thumbsup.gif
I have a question please.....

I have a Cream Legbar cockerel which I know this breed is auto sexing so no problem with hatching his girlfriends blue eggs but I also have 2 Copper Black Marans hens with him and 2 Blue Splash Marans hens - will I be able to determine the sex of their chicks at hatch as I've heard male should be barred?

I am also tempted to put my 2 young Warrens in too which I know are a sex linked bird so I'm guessing theres no way of knowing what their chicks would hatch like crossed with Cream Legbar male?

Thanks in advance xx

sad.png
Oh it sounds like I have the opposites then, as I have a barred male and black female which I assume won't give me sex-linked chicks
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom