Sex- linked Information

Pics
If you cross your B/B/S Barnevelder rooster with a barred hen on the black sex link list in the first post in this thread, you will get male chicks that are barred and pullets that are not barred. With the black rooster the chicks should be black. With the splash roo, the chicks should be blue. With the blue roo, half should be black and half should be blue. I haven’t done that cross but I think you should be able to see the spot on any of them. I’m assuming the B/B/S is based on Extended Black. If it’s based on something else, then seeing the spot could be a problem.

You cannot use a barred rooster to get a black sex link. Tadkerson is real clear on that in the first post in this thread. I don’t know of any standard breed red barred rooster, but if you have a red barred rooster (probably a mutt) that is pure for gold, and you cross him with a hen off the red sex link chart in the first post, you might get a red sex link chick. It’s going to depend on what other genetics are present as to whether you will be able to see a difference in the red down and yellow down. Since a red barred rooster is almost certainly to be a cross with mixed up genetics, I wouldn’t count on it. But you might get lucky.

There is more to chosing them than just color. Othe genes are important. That's why the breeds are listed in those charts.

THis cross should work-- RIdgerunner is correct.

My blue ameracuanas on barred hens throw both blue chicks and black chicks. You can see the white spot on the boys thru the gray down. SOme down is a darker gray, sometimes a lighter gray then you need to look more closely to see the white. Otherwise the new feathering will tell you in just a few days.

Hello,

Apologies if this is not an appropriate place for this question, I am new here. This is more about personality/temperament traits in sexlinks and not about breeding.

I have a small flock in an urban environment and while I know there is no guarantee on personality based on breed, I'd like to stack to odds as much in my favor as possible to hopefully end up with: (1)best chance possible of having hens, which led me to looking at sex-links (2) quiet hens (3) tolerate confinement in a spacious coop (4) play well with others (5) stay healthy and good egg producers as they get older.

I know this is a tall order and that in the end I can only make a reasonable choice and see what happens. After reading about how many ways you can get a sex linked chicken, it seems that a RSL, GSL or BSL could be produced from many different breeds. So, when I read temperament descriptions for the sex-linked breeds by color, aren't they somewhat meaningless? After reading descriptions, I got the idea that GSLs are prone to health issues and BSLs can be vocal, but did not see these traits listed for RSL. But I'm thinking that I can't go by these descriptions based on color alone as I don't know what breeds the parents were.

Any advice on finding a sex link that would have a good chance of having the traits I'd like would be appeciated. I am in Oakland, CA if that matters, and could drive to a farm/breeder to get some babies that are the right match. I can also go with another specific breed and cross my fingers that the person who sexed them got it right.

I do want to get day old chicks, not older even though I know an older one would resolve the concern with ending up with a rooster.

Thanks!

If you cross your B/B/S Barnevelder rooster with a barred hen on the black sex link list in the first post in this thread, you will get male chicks that are barred and pullets that are not barred. With the black rooster the chicks should be black. With the splash roo, the chicks should be blue. With the blue roo, half should be black and half should be blue. I haven’t done that cross but I think you should be able to see the spot on any of them. I’m assuming the B/B/S is based on Extended Black. If it’s based on something else, then seeing the spot could be a problem.

You cannot use a barred rooster to get a black sex link. Tadkerson is real clear on that in the first post in this thread. I don’t know of any standard breed red barred rooster, but if you have a red barred rooster (probably a mutt) that is pure for gold, and you cross him with a hen off the red sex link chart in the first post, you might get a red sex link chick. It’s going to depend on what other genetics are present as to whether you will be able to see a difference in the red down and yellow down. Since a red barred rooster is almost certainly to be a cross with mixed up genetics, I wouldn’t count on it. But you might get lucky.

There is more to chosing them than just color. Othe genes are important. That's why the breeds are listed in those charts.
one of my barred roosters is a cream legbar, not sure but I think they have gold or red as main color.
the barred hens to go with the barnvelder are half legbar and half white crested black polish.
1014004_447995671963209_244108701_n.jpg

they are all this color.

I have what may be a dumb question, does this also work with Polish? For example using a gold laced Roo over a Buff hen? Just curious..thanks

I have what may be a dumb question, does this also work with Polish? For example using a gold laced Roo over a Buff hen? Just curious..thanks
Not to produce Red Sexlinks.
It might work if you used a Golden Laced roo over a Silver Laced hen. Not sure of how the polish genetics work.

WOuld like a few opinions on the gender of this bird.

THe facts: Most likely from this pen.
Eggs collected from black barred hens of various decents.( RIR, barred rock, black copper marans, partridge easter egger)
Possible that a hen excaped coop and visited another male. But only 1 blue male possible.

Pic 1 a really red comb for a few weeks now.

Pic 2 sreddish/gold barred feathers coming in on the shoulders and base of the neck.

The tail that is finally coming in....

Thus last one is the base of his tail, more pointy reddish/gold saddles coming in.

HOw did I get a male that did NOT show the white spot on the head??

WOuld like a few opinions on the gender of this bird.

THe facts: Most likely from this pen.
Eggs collected from black barred hens of various decents.( RIR, barred rock, black copper marans, partridge easter egger)
Possible that a hen excaped coop and visited another male. But only 1 blue male possible.

Pic 1 a really red comb for a few weeks now.

Pic 2 sreddish/gold barred feathers coming in on the shoulders and base of the neck.

The tail that is finally coming in....

Thus last one is the base of his tail, more pointy reddish/gold saddles coming in.

HOw did I get a male that did NOT show the white spot on the head??
Unsolved Mysteries.

Back
Top Bottom