Sex- linked Information

And that's why pics are invaluable!

this bird is not a buff Orpington. with the white legs, he may have some Orpington ancestry back a ways, but I'm thinking he doesn't even have a pure Orp parent. The body shape really puts me in mind of my Dark Cornish. I can't tell what kind of comb he has from the pic. the white in the tail say he's not really a pure buff no matter the breed, so I'm thinking that's where you got the light colored chicks.

Sorry your sex link plans didn't work out.

Ok, thanks! I just emailed the person that I got him from, and she said that he might be half buff orp and half red sex link. Anyways, does that mean the the black chick with the white spot on its head could be a hen?

Yes, I a positive that the eggs came from my cuckoo marans. Here are some pictures of the parents, and some of the chicks. I only have one picture of the white chicks with black spots, but that is what all of the white chicks look like.

Ok the picture helps ! That buff rooster has a white tail . That tells me he carries dominant white . He is not pure buff . Dominant white works better to remove black than red . So you have a small lot with skewed percentages . So without dominant white all chicks would be black or mostly black . With or without barring . However the 1 copy of dominant white has removed most of the black leaving a black spot . Now any that seem to feather mostly buff will be pullets as red/ gold is sex linked also . You can not see a white head spot on a white chick . So you must rely on the buff color to find the pullets in the white chicks if there are any pullets that is . Now you may be totally confused at this point . Keep in touch if you are and you will be helped .

Last edited:
Ok the picture helps ! That buff rooster has a white tail . That tells me he carries dominant white . He is not pure buff . Dominant white works better to remove black than red . So you have a small lot with skewed percentages . So without dominant white all chicks would be black or mostly black . With or without barring . However the 1 copy of dominant white has removed most of the black leaving a black spot . Now any that seem to feather mostly buff will be pullets as red/ gold is sex linked also . You can not see a white head spot on a white chick . So you must rely on the buff color to find the pullets in the white chicks if there are any pullets that is . Now you may be totally confused at this point . Keep in touch if you are and you will be helped .

Let me retract the part about buff pullets . Running from memory again . All the white chicks will have 1 copy of red/gold . So no difference . That works if silver is involved .

Would have to be, if he was the only crested chicken in flock.  To me he could pass for a silkie mix despite being clean legged and not having extra toes.  If he does have scant leg feathering that's very strong clue.

He does have an extra toes on each foot.

Back
Top Bottom