Sex- linked Information

To make Salmon you need Wheaten, Mahogany, and Silver. Yes, Silver in a male will not give a red sex link.

Oops, my bad. I guess my dyslexia kicked in and I inverted the hen/rooster catagiries. I did use a Salmon over barred rock hen and got a Black Sex Link. So u guess I got to thinking of a Salmin as the Red rooster over Silver hen thing.

* why does spellcheck change barred rock to barred Rick? Does it to me nearly every time.

Last edited:
[TR] [TD]MALES (Roosters)[/TD] [TD]FEMALES (Hens)[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Marans Variety Black, Black Copper,Blue & White[/TD] [TD]Marans Variety Black,BCM, Blue,Splash & Cuckoo[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Ameraucanas[/TD] [TD]Ameraucanas[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Welsummers[/TD] [TD]Welsummers[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Barred Rock[/TD] [TD]Black Austrolorp[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD]Rhode Island Red[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR]
This a list of Roosters and Hens I have…..Which Roosters over Hens would make the best sex-link crossing??? dheltzel ....... What will the difference be between male and female chicks from the crossing of either the BCM or Welsummer rooster over Cuckoo hens??? Are their pictures on the original post that show the difference??? Thank you for any of your help :jumpy
I think ( not really positive) any of your roosters ( unless any of the Ameraucanas are Silver Duckwing) over your Cuckoo Marans hens will give you Bkack Sex Links. Unless any if your Ameraucana hens are a Silver Duckwing I don't think you'd be able to make Red Sexlinks. If you have SDW Aneraucanas then the Welsummer rooster iver that should get you a RSL.

Last edited:
dheltzel....... What will the difference be between male and female chicks from the crossing of either the BCM or Welsummer rooster over Cuckoo hens??? Are their pictures on the original post that show the difference??? Thank you for any of your help
jumpy.gif

You are making black sexlinks with a Cuckoo Marans hen. The 2 "requirements" for that are extended black down color and sex-linked barring in the female parent. Because the Cuckoo Marans has both of those, you can make BSL's with them and almost any roo. Some roos will not work well, namely "dominant white" (commercial leghorns for ex) and blue/splash (dominant dilution of black makes the head spot much harder to distinguish). So I would avoid a blue or splash Marans, but a Black roo should work fine. Welsummer also works because the extended black of the CM is dominant over the wild-type chick down of the Welsummer.

You will get very similar colored chicks from either sire, male chicks should have a white spot on their head. I like to wait a few days before culling the males and look for the barring on the wing feathers as they come in also. The BSL cross I made this year had some females with white spots on their heads, but they had all black feathers on their wings that were easily discernable at about 5 days of age.

Does anybody here have pictures of Black Sex Links made using a Buff male? I'm trying to start a LF sex-linked Silkie project this spring, and I was planning on using Cuckoo for the female line and Red for the male line, but I can't seem to find LF Red Cochins or Red Silkies anywhere, so it looks like I may end up using Buff in the male line. According to what I've heard Buff puts up more "fight" than red so BSLs with Buff tend to have more color. Anybody have pictures to help me visualize what I might be working with?

Check out post #1710 in this thread.

I’ve seen other photos of that type of cross but that’s the only one I can find. I won’t say that is typical because I’ve seen some other quite different photos, black splotched with pockets of solid orange for example. But yes, Buff can give you more color than Red.

Back
Top Bottom