Sex- linked Information

Thanks I love the coloring and patten I'm going to see if I can get it to breed true. If not I'll be getting columbianrocks. These were a mistake. I do have a silly question . Some of the baby look like pure barred rocks and pure white rocks what's the chance they have color hiden.
there's a barred rock hen that looks pure. Also a barred buff rock mix who's a roo also in this pic.
only good pic I have of the pure white pretty sure a hen.

A black barred bird generally isn't "hiding" any other colors. It's generally extended black with the barring gene, pretty straightforward. It's not 100%, but it's pretty often.

White is a whole nother story. Dominant white turns black to white, so white Rocks are often carrying the barring gene, you just can't see it. Or you get ghost barring, a very faint grey pattern. You just have to test breed your white birds to find out what they're hiding. You can get quite the variety under that white is my understanding.

Are you going by the spotted pattern for the boys, solid girls, or the orange face thing? Or both?just noticed the girls all have orange faces and is fhe males being spotted a coincidence or is that how it's supposed to be?

On the buff cross barred, boys have a white face and girls have an orange face, as they get older the boys will be barred and the girls should be orange and black. The ones I have researched are buff Orpington and barred rock. Mine being a buff Cochin I wasn't sure, but it worked out great. I will post more pictures as the feather in.

Buff cochin cock cross barred rock hen

Cockerel

Pullet
You're right. The two with white on the back of the head will be your males. It's the white on the back of the head that indicates the presence of the barring gene. Since barred hens can only pass their barring gene to their male offspring, the chicks with the head spot (barring gene) are male.

You're right. The two with white on the back of the head will be your males. It's the white on the back of the head that indicates the presence of the barring gene. Since barred hens can only pass their barring gene to their male offspring, the chicks with the head spot (barring gene) are male.

True, but the orange or white face is easier to spot sometimes.

Not coincidence , with the buff rooster, all the females will have the orange face and all the boys will have a white face with the dotted head for barred. My friend did the buff Orpington rooster over barred rock hen and she gets the same results. The buff color leaks the orange face, from research the girls will be orange with black accents.

Back
Top Bottom