Sex- linked Information

Since there is one exception to rule number one;

a red sex link that is a non-barred and non-dominant white male can be used in a black sex linked cross.

I'm not understanding why you can't make a black sexlink with red sexlink hens ..

Let me see if can make it clearer . What it means is you can use a red rooster over black barred hens like barred rocks . Barred rocks are black with the barring gene added . You can not have dominant white in the rooster because it turns black to white . You can not see the white head spot on a white chick .
The resulting chicks will mostly black with maybe a reddish look in some areas .

There is no black in the cross you propose and no barring .

The only time I have ever known of a red sexlink hen that can be used in a mating to create black sexlinks is in a cross i have done.

Cream legbar male x silver laced cochin female creates red sexlinks. The females from that cross red sexlinks that are barred (getting the barring gene from the CL male). Cross these red sexlink pullets to a black non barred male and you will get black sexlinks (she will pass her barring gene to all her male offspring).

This is the only way i know of to use a red sexlink to create a black sexlink.

Last edited:
The only time I have ever known of a red sexlink hen that can be used in a mating to create black sexlinks is in a cross i have done.

Cream legbar male x silver laced cochin female creates red sexlinks. The females from that cross red sexlinks that are barred (getting the barring gene from the CL male). Cross these red sexlink pullets to a black non barred male and you will get black sexlinks (she will pass her barring gene to all her male offspring).

chick pickin you have an excellent understanding of how sexlinks work. However here is another combination that will work..A Rhodebar male could also be used in the place of the Legbar (either Cream or Crele) to cross with the silver female to produce the barred red sexlink pullet in this scenario.

chick pickin you have an excellent understanding of how sexlinks work. However here is another combination that will work..A Rhodebar male could also be used in the place of the Legbar (either Cream or Crele) to cross with the silver female to produce the barred red sexlink pullet in this scenario.

Exactly. There are a few combos that can work in this scenario, as long as you use a gold based double barred male x silver based female.

Last edited:

So an Australorp roo should work with the CL/silver-laced cross pullets, being an extended black?

Updated Pictures of my black sex link

Parents

Chick

w.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7149955/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Today 9 weeks

So an Australorp roo should work with the CL/silver-laced cross pullets, being an extended black?
I think an Aussie rooster would be an excellent choice. You'll need to bring that black back in, to be able to see the head spot at hatch. I think breeding those pullets to a red or buff rooster would make what I think of as "invisible" sex links. They're genetically linked, but you can't see the difference at hatch, so it's not so useful. By the time you'd be able to tell male vs female, you'd be able to anyway by comb, etc.

Back
Top Bottom