Sex- linked Information

Thanks, that’s counter to a lot of what I read on here, I keep seeing that Lavender is a modifier of black. But I also know that there is an exception to practically anything. Since you mention Brown and Iabella Leghorns, is there a need for another specific gene to be in the mix other than gold for Lavender to affect gold?
Nope. No other genes are at work. It's the Lavender gene that dilutes the gold/red to shades of cream. That's also why it can be difficult to see leakage in Lavender/self blue roosters.

Black Copper Marans are based on Birchen and Birchen is not a good choice for red sex links.

Thank you, Well that answers one question I had.
sad.png
Between my Cream Legbars, BLBSP Marans, Cuckoo Marans and BLBSP Ameraucanas I have More than enough Black Sex Link crosses. I am thinking the White Legbars and Wheaten or Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas could be used for BSL but have not gone there.
I would like to see what Red Sex Link crosses I could make. Any suggestions on a white / cream egg layer to cross with Wheaten and or Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas? Silver leghorn? Or know where I can get my hands on some Columbian Leghorns?

Also someone had Silver Cuckoo Leghorns on Ebay what happens when you have silver and cuckoo in the mix? (Would it be as simple as red sexlinks when crossed to gold, and black sexlinks when crossed to black? Then the same should be true of the Silver Cuckoo Marans.

Wheaten is not a good choice for sexing at hatch. If you don't mind not being able to sex till the chicks are a week or two of age, then you can use them with just about any silver-base bird.

Also someone had Silver Cuckoo Leghorns on Ebay what happens when you have silver and cuckoo in the mix?

This hen is silver wild-type partridge and barred/cuckoo.

Would it be as simple as red sexlinks when crossed to gold, and black sexlinks when crossed to black?

Red sexlinks from the previously pictured hen. If bred to a black or birchen rooster, she could also produce black sexlinks.

Wheaten is not a good choice for sexing at hatch. If you don't mind not being able to sex till the chicks are a week or two of age, then you can use them with just about any silver-base bird.
Thank you, Not what I wanted to hear, but good to know. On the first page of this thread it mentions Wheaten Ameraucanas as one of the additional roosters that could be used, so it raised my hopes.
If you dont mind me asking what would I be looking for after the week or two? and would silver cuckoo be one of the silver that would work?

Wheaten down isn't really clearly gold or clearly silver. As the chick begins to feather in, the chicks that are silver based (male), will have black and white patterning on their wings. The females will have gold and black coloring on their wings.
If the silver cuckoo is a birchen or extended black patterned bird with barring/cuckoo, it's not a good choice for red sexlinking.

This hen is silver wild-type partridge and barred/cuckoo.

Red sexlinks from the previously pictured hen. If bred to a black or birchen rooster, she could also produce black sexlinks.
Thank You Very Much! As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Looks somewhat like my Marans x Cream Legbar crosses so no need to try the cuckoo if my goal is to get a different look. Maybe I will try a Salmon Favorolle for a light olive egger, to go with the dark olive eggers

"Additional male birds that can be used in a red-sex linked cross: Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Wheaten or Blue Wheaten or Buff Ameraucana, Black Breasted Red or Buff Araucana, Buckeye, Buttercup, White Laced Red or Red or Buff Cornish, Black Breasted Red Cubalaya, Golden Lakenvelder, and Buff Minorca."

Perhaps it would be good to talk a little bit about these additional males and how they can be used and or where they fit in the table for red sex-linked crosses. rather than having they just hanging out there.

Tad,
Please,
What is the chick down color for both sexes for
Light Sussex over Rhode Island Red hen.
For Light Sussex over Dark Brown Leghorn and Light Brown Leghorn hens.
For Light Sussex over White Leghorn hen.
For Light Sussex over Ancona hen.
I am hatching Light Sussex out of a mixed flock and want to cull as many as possible in the chick down.
Thanks,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom