Sex- linked Information

After I posted I thought of something.
I'm not real familiar with lakenvelder. Are goldens buff?
If so that could throw things off.
For such a simple looking color buff is really complexed.
I don't have a ton of experience crossing it with other colors or patterns but from what I've seen it seems less likely to play by the rules then any other color.
They will still work for sex links but the pullets will have a lighter down color then the regular red sex links so there won't be quite the contrast between the sexes as with regular red sex links.
Issues may come up if you do the crosses back and forth and then expect the golden to be golden if they're buff.
If that makes sense

Last edited:
Here’s a picture I found on google. I guess they are buff.
CBF296A2-C0E9-4100-9026-B758F6F1DAD2.jpeg

Attachments

• DF379D1E-3AE4-43DB-95E4-B0F848B71A03.jpeg
    DF379D1E-3AE4-43DB-95E4-B0F848B71A03.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1
I'm pretty sure you can use anything that presents as barred/cuckoo because the hen will always pass on barring to male chicks.

I used a Buff Orpington over Barred Rocks and they were still easy to sex by sight on hatch, females were either all black or had just a bit of red on their face, the males had quite a bit of yellow. The pullets ended up black with a LOT of gold splashed across the front when grown, as buff isn't as easily restricted as red.

This was a female, with just a bit of red to her cheeks:
sexlinkfemale.jpg

This was a male, lots of pale yellow on the face:
sexlinks2.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can use anything that presents as barred/cuckoo because the hen will always pass on barring to male chicks.

I used a Buff Orpington over Barred Rocks and they were still easy to sex by sight on hatch, females were either all black or had just a bit of red on their face, the males had quite a bit of yellow. The pullets ended up black with a LOT of gold splashed across the front when grown, as buff isn't as easily restricted as red.

This was a female, with just a bit of red to her cheeks:
View attachment 1284448

This was a male, lots of pale yellow on the face: View attachment 1284449
Do it have any pictures of them matured?

Back
Top Bottom