Sex- linked Information

His genetics are telling me otherwise.
RIR crossed with silver pheonix would be sex linked. Males would get a gold gene from dad and a silver gene from mom. A cockerel offspring would not be red like that since it would be silver/gold and silver being dominate.
As for the oegb. That would not explain the white tail. RIR Xs wheaton won't produce the white replacing black feathers. That cockerel has dominate white and didn't get it from a RIR or wheaton oegb.
Also could never see an oegb producing a cockerel anywheres near the size he appears.
It is what it is and genetics are what they are but if you say it came from a oegb or silver phoenix so be it.

20180413_095337.jpg
20180414_095215.jpg
His Dad developed this after the last molt. I could be wrong about his mom. This is the 4 of them as chicks. The the 3rd one. The first 2 are his sisters who are dark red like dad. The 4th is a naked neck so I know for sure who her mom is. There where 3 brown and one white eggs. I have 2 dark Cornish Hens, 2 sex link hens, 1 Trurken hen in my main pen with my RIR, the OEB and my Silver phoenix were also in this pen before I hatched the chicks. If I'm wrong I wanna learn and learn why. One of the first 3 is OEB or SP. Which one of them could have came from the white egg?
PicsArt_04-14-09.43.10.png

Last edited:
One of the dark red sisters has a pea comb. The only pea comb breed you have is the Dark Cornish, so that would be the mom for that chick. The other dark red sister looks like she has white earlobes. That indicates that one parent was likely a white egg layer. She is likely from your Silver Phoenix. She's techinically a sexlink. The only possible parent, that makes sense genetically, for the red and white rooster would one of your red sexlink hens.
And it's very common for mature roosters to develop some white after a few molts. It's thought to be related to nutrition. It is no indication of hidden white genes.
It may help if you learned the difference between silver and white. Silver basically turns off gold/red/brown pigments. White turns off black pigment only. Both produce white plumage, but in completely different ways.
In males with both silver and red/gold genes, the silver is dominant but not able to completely block all red/gold pigment completely. They develop what is called 'leakage', where red or gold is able to leak through the silver in the shoulders and hackle feathers. For a good visual example, check out pics of male Gold Comets.
Your boy is only white in the areas that correspond with the black areas of his father. This shows that only the black pigment is getting turned off, not his red/gold pigment. That means it must be dominant white and not silver producing the white feathering.

Ahh ok. That makes sense. I'm learning as i go that was my first hatch ever. My second is due to hatch in about 16 days. It's my OEB × red and white would he be considered as a golden comet? He' got one heck of a attitude hateful with a capitol H! Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom