Sex- linked Information

Ladies and gentlemen, my friends did the experiment using RIR roosters over RIW hens and over white rocks (WPR).

The daughters who had RIW as mothers had all the common coloration we see in the 90% of the commercial sex links of all the companies.

The daughters who had WPR as mothers didn't have any necklace (the neck was totally brownish feathered) and their tail was black!

The mother of the 90% of the commercial red sex links is RIW of course selected for smaller size and smaller appetite.

You can see the official sites of dominant CZ and of cackle hatchery to check for multiple types of red sex links.
Rhode Island Whites have rose combs and hatchery Red Sex Links have single combs so they aren’t using Rhode Island Whites. I believe they use Delaware hens.

Rhode Island Whites are a separate breed from Rhode Island Reds though the name is similar. Reds can have either a rose or single comb, Whites can only have a rose comb.

The rose comb is dominant so if even one Rose gene is present you will see it's affects. If it is mixed with a pea comb gene you should get a walnut comb. But crossed with a single combed chicken you should get a rose.

I got some red sex link males from Meyer several years back. I ordered them to fill out an order for some other chicks I wanted. If I'm going to get packing peanuts it might as well be something I can eat. They were supposed to be Rhode Island Red males over Rhode Island White hens but they were single combed. The Rhode Island White mothers obviously did not have a rose comb.

I theory the male should be solid white but I kept this photo of them to show what leakage can look like.
Leakage.JPG

Rhode Island Whites are a separate breed from Rhode Island Reds though the name is similar. Reds can have either a rose or single comb, Whites can only have a rose comb.

The rose comb is dominant so if even one Rose gene is present you will see it's affects. If it is mixed with a pea comb gene you should get a walnut comb. But crossed with a single combed chicken you should get a rose.

I got some red sex link males from Meyer several years back. I ordered them to fill out an order for some other chicks I wanted. If I'm going to get packing peanuts it might as well be something I can eat. They were supposed to be Rhode Island Red males over Rhode Island White hens but they were single combed. The Rhode Island White mothers obviously did not have a rose comb.

I theory the male should be solid white but I kept this photo of them to show what leakage can look like.
View attachment 1524588
Rhode Island Whites can be both rosecomb and singlecomb.
All poultry associations accept these two types of combs.

Back
Top Bottom