Sex linked? Rir x light sussex

Jada22

Songster
Feb 24, 2022
I bought sex linked hatching eggs Rhode Island Red x light sussex so I was told females would be red males would be white (born yellow)
The 3 were born the same reddish colour except for one having spots on their head but now one chicks wings are coming in white, one chick is coming is red and one is coming in brown.

Hoping someone with a bit of knowledge can help me out with sexing or telling me if they’re actually not sex linked?

Pictures only of the back of the chicks to show colours but if more pics are needed let me know

Picture one is the white chick, 2 is the red and 3 is the brown, picture 4 is two of them at hatch. I have an unrelated yellow chick as well and none of these were yellow at hatch

Attachments

• 68E15F53-A6E9-432F-ADF1-9758F6DA15A2.jpeg
    68E15F53-A6E9-432F-ADF1-9758F6DA15A2.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 35
  • 3F09B04D-D255-4ED0-B7CD-6BDE4F2613C6.jpeg
    3F09B04D-D255-4ED0-B7CD-6BDE4F2613C6.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 3463D6A1-1689-4260-B522-7C9A506D2E4D.jpeg
    3463D6A1-1689-4260-B522-7C9A506D2E4D.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 78D950E1-ECFB-4C8E-B0CC-6B59ABAE8005.jpeg
    78D950E1-ECFB-4C8E-B0CC-6B59ABAE8005.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 9
I bought sex linked hatching eggs Rhode Island Red x light sussex so I was told females would be red males would be white (born yellow)
Theoretically yes.. link included only for pics and description of said cross..

https://sites.google.com/site/jpsdu...ussex has been,layer, laying large brown eggs.

The main issue being nobody knows what's really being sold on ebay.. or elsewhere I suppose since I realize that was an assumption. :oops:

My point is many keepers may be thinking they have RIR (or LS) but may be a production red (may have another bird gotten in the pen ) (or got the cross direction wrong) or you get the general idea being there must be something more there to be producing that patterning. People make mistakes all the time.

Possibly make contact with the seller and ask about their personal phenotype results (observable characteristics) and/or verify their breed identification (with photos) and crossing direction details, etc.
The 3 were born the same reddish colour
Maybe all are female!

While you can't change the gender of an embryo by temperature.. it is true that being high or low.. one way or the other.. can make one or the other gender less like to hatch successfully.. aka more likely to kill them off in shell. How many did you incubate? Usually boys are stronger.. but fingers crossed for gals! :fl

Theoretically yes.. link included only for pics and description of said cross..

https://sites.google.com/site/jpsducks/our-chickens/rir-x-light-sussex#:~:text=The Light Sussex has been,layer, laying large brown eggs.

The main issue being nobody knows what's really being sold on ebay.. or elsewhere I suppose since I realize that was an assumption. :oops:

My point is many keepers may be thinking they have RIR (or LS) but may be a production red (may have another bird gotten in the pen ) (or got the cross direction wrong) or you get the general idea being there must be something more there to be producing that patterning. People make mistakes all the time.

Possibly make contact with the seller and ask about their personal phenotype results (observable characteristics) and/or verify their breed identification (with photos) and crossing direction details, etc.

Maybe all are female!

While you can't change the gender of an embryo by temperature.. it is true that being high or low.. one way or the other.. can make one or the other gender less like to hatch successfully.. aka more likely to kill them off in shell. How many did you incubate? Usually boys are stronger.. but fingers crossed for gals! :fl
Thanks for that, based on the pics of the chicks in that picture my chicks were neither as they weren’t that light but also weren’t that red- closer to an orange colour 😂
I bought the eggs from someone local to me out of these there was six eggs one quit 2 never started. But in total there was 24 eggs and only 7 hatched for me, some may have been old, or maybe I cleaned them wrong, I was given a lot of the eggs for free because she had too many and they hadn’t been cleaned, I’ve never cleaned eggs before incubating before. But out of the whole lot I got 7 chicks and only one other egg that started developing- this was an early quitter.
I guess I should assume I don’t have sex linked chicks here and instead have some sort of funky mix

If the Rhode Island Red is the father and the Light Sussex is the mother, it certainly SHOULD work that way.

The 3 were born the same reddish colour except for one having spots on their head but now one chicks wings are coming in white, one chick is coming is red and one is coming in brown.
The third photo, with shades of brown and black and maybe a few dots of white, is what I would expect for a female chick from RIR x Light Sussex cross.

The other two are wrong for either gender of that cross.
Commercial red sexlinks (different mother breed) often feather in like those two. If they were the commercial-type red sexlinks, the all white one would be male, and the one with tan-and-white feathers would be female.

But since they are wrong for what you were told, I don't trust them to be right for any kind of sexlinking. They might be, or might not be, and there's no way to tell until they grow enough to check it in other ways (like combs & wattles, or crowing, or male-specific feathering.)

I would not trust the one with brown & black to be female either, because having at least two wrong does not make be confident about the one that *might* be right!

If the Rhode Island Red is the father and the Light Sussex is the mother, it certainly SHOULD work that way.

The third photo, with shades of brown and black and maybe a few dots of white, is what I would expect for a female chick from RIR x Light Sussex cross.

The other two are wrong for either gender of that cross.
Commercial red sexlinks (different mother breed) often feather in like those two. If they were the commercial-type red sexlinks, the all white one would be male, and the one with tan-and-white feathers would be female.

But since they are wrong for what you were told, I don't trust them to be right for any kind of sexlinking. They might be, or might not be, and there's no way to tell until they grow enough to check it in other ways (like combs & wattles, or crowing, or male-specific feathering.)

I would not trust the one with brown & black to be female either, because having at least two wrong does not make be confident about the one that *might* be right!
I’m thinking she either got the eggs mixed up or else a different rooster got to the hen. So really these chicks could be any mix.
Do you have any idea of what age it should be easy to sex them at?

I’m thinking she either got the eggs mixed up or else a different rooster got to the hen. So really these chicks could be any mix.
That's what I'm thinking too.

Do you have any idea of what age it should be easy to sex them at?
Try about 6-8 weeks. That works for many chicks.

Sometimes cockerels will show obvious red combs as early as 3-4 weeks, and sometimes they keep you guessing for 3-4 months. The early ones aren't a problem, but the late ones can get really frustrating! Luckily, the really slow ones aren't too common.

Back
Top Bottom