Sex links

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelidei, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Hi... just curious... I have about 12 red stars in my flock and I have been impressed with their production... this year I got 6 black stars... just as good at laying plus a little bigger for stewing purposes... But the big difference is temperament. Most red stars I have are flighty... one or two I can actually touch and they have been my biggest problem birds... egg eating and feather picking... I catch them in the act so I know they are the culprits... Black stars are more docile it seems and quieter... they will approach me with curiosity and even sit with me... I only have one red star that does this... Has anyone else noticed these things? Do Black stars have Australorp in them?

2. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    i am wondering where did you get your red stars? i have some golden comets from mt healthy hatchery and they are very docile and will come up and eat out of my hand...my grandkids will come over and pet them..the black sex link is 1/2 barred rock ...i think dont know if the austrolop has the same silver gene...i know the reds are the best layers i have had...i havent had any black stars though..

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Being hybrids temperament can be all over the map. It depends on who supplied them and what their breeding stock is.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I started with sexlinks about 3 years ago.The first 6 I bought were BSL. Then the next year I got 7 more BSL.Last year my cousin talked me into getting 10 started pullets that were RSL.I also got 10 chicks from assorted red pullet bin at TSC. The ones from the breeder had to be trained to roost,were flighty, and certainly would not let me handle them.The ones from TSC were better, they had been hand raised and were used to people. They had a small roost in the brooder and when moved to the coop picked up the routine fairly quick.
    All of this being said I think you are right about the BSLs. They were more docile, never got picked on and were good egg layers for me.
    I think the RSLs are about the best you can do if you want eggs, eggs, and more eggs. But my blacks were easier to get along with in the meantime.
    Just my opinion here but my BSL layed eggs steady for a longer period of time than my RSL and went through the molt quicker too.Next years chicks will be mostly BSL, maybe a few RSL because they do lay some big eggs!!!LOL

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree with A.T. Hagan. It is almost impossible to make generalized statements about sex links. Not all Red sex links are the same recipe, that is made from the same breed of parents, and not all black sex links are the same recipe. There are hundreds of sources for these birds and hundreds of strains. One person's experience just doesn't match another's.

There are a half dozen ways to make them. Unless you actually know the parent stock, you just get what you get.

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    What they are saying is very true. I know one sexlink breeder told me his pullets were delaware crosses.Not sure about my reds , but I do know my blacks are from the red/barred rock cross. I grew up with reds(production, and RIR) barred rocks and white rocks, so I wanted the BSL from this cross.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since the hatcheries produce sex links by the millions, mainly for the commercial operations, they often are a commercial strain that they also sell to the feed stores and private mail order individuals. The precise make up of the parent stock is RARELY known, usually couched in fuzzy language and imprecise descriptions. When the hatchery states their Red Sex Link is a Rhode Island over a Delaware....... well, OK. That's their story and they are sticking to it. [​IMG]

The fact is that we don't really get see and really know WHAT the parent stock is, most of the time. This means that if you had great luck with a sex link this year, next year? You may or may not get the same mixed bird. That's the way it is.

8. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks for the replies... the consensus makes sense to me. I have one red sex link that is just the sweetest thing... it started when she was a chick... she would jump up on my shoulder and snuggle into my neck and hair and fall asleep. Her name is Ruth Ann... or Ruthie for short. She is seven months old now and when I go into the run she runs over to me and jumps onto my feet... funny... the other ones remind me of a bunch of biddies who get into everyone else's business. All my black sex links are laid back and will tolerate petting and lap sitting. Since I have never had the blacks before I don't know about other variations in temperament. It is kind of moot since next year I am focusing on heritage breeds and will not be getting anymore hybrids. I have 15 different breeds and am in the process of deciding which ones I will stay with... not an easy task [​IMG] So many beautiful birds... how does one decide??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by