Sex of Goslings

sunnydt

Songster
13 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Oklahoma
I have two goslings and they seem different in some ways, so Im wondering if maybe I can tell the sex of them. They are african geese and are the same age. One of them has just begun to get a little bit of a voice change and one of them has a tail that points up more than the other. Is this any way to maybe tell what sex they are? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
And one is a bit more lazy than the other that makes more noise and is more apt to check out whats going on.

The only sure way to sex a goose is by dna or vent sexing them. After their first breeding season you'll know which one is the male for sure, but with ours we had good guesses on some of them. Mostly the males are slightly bigger than the females. They are also more inclined to go check things out and they usually try to be in front of the females closest to any threats. They have different sounding voices - the males are more higher pitched and the females deeper. Don't know how soon we noticed these things . . . It is fun to see if your guesses are accurate after breeding season . . .

Thanks thats good to know and all I wanted to know. With my chicks I can tell in different ways if they are male or female even though people have said with my breeds, I would have to vent sex them. so I just thought there must be some differences in the goslings as well. Thanks for sharing!

With Africans, when they are completely mature, the males will have a larger knob on their bill than the females.

That's it.

Other than that, you can vent sex, which isn't easy once they are no longer tiny goslings. or you can DNA test.

Size means nothing. The geese might have a very slightly lower voice than the gander. Maybe. I don't think the difference is enough to be reliable.

It's not even reliable to see who is on top in mating. Although, if the goose is laying eggs, the one on the nest is probably going to be the goose. Ganders will set, but the goose generally won't let them.

So what if I have two males? Are they going to get along? If I do should I get more females? and if so, when should I introduce more females to them?

I just got 2 Goslings ( 1 week old) for Mothers Day ( Chinese Brown) one is bigger in every way than the other.. I'm hoping its Male & a Female.. Bit Im wondering the same thing.. If both are Male.. Will they get along?

. They are just the CUTEST!! If I have a Male &Fem. "Gandalf & Gabby"

2 males raised together without any females are said to get along. But I have no personal experience with this. I am new to geese as well. I have 4 white Chinese and 4 African goslings of varying ages. My oldest 2 white Chinese are 12 weeks old and they have me guessing as to gender. I am nearly 100% one is a male, named Snow, the other I thought was male also but is now putting off female vibes so it's a wait and see game. My next pair are 6 week old Africans, I think I have 1 male and 1 female though both were purchased as females, vent sexing isn't 100% accurate and one is bigger, more aggressive, has a different sounding voice, and constantly puts its body between me and the other African. Same with my pair of 5 week old Chinese, they were purchased as straight runs, but noticing the same behaviors in 1 of them as I noticed in the Afican and from my 12 week old male Snow. my last pair of African goslings were also bought as sexed females. They are 2 or 3 weeks old (can't remember exactly this second, need more coffee), so they may not show the behaviors yet. All in all, I have a bet going on with my family. We each guess what sex the goslings are and will see who is right. We can at least have a little fun while we pull our hair out trying to determine gender, lol.

Good luck with your sweet babies!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom