Sex question

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Is it possible to sex cuckoo marans chicks just by the color. I'm talking new borns or as early as a week? By the spot on the head?
See I bought 4 and they were about a month or so old and the hens were darker than the roo. But how early can you tell?

It is said that boys are more grey and girls are darker. I have had a male that was as blk as a girl up to it feathered out. Boys have more wht. on and around head too. Most of the time.
46537_1_st_hatch_blrw_cm_037.jpg
first wk
46537_feb_2610_chicks_002.jpg
He is about 2 wks in this.

Last edited:
Thanks apparently the girl who came and bought the four said the others were male, though I think the oldest one from the incu hatch is female. I am really not sure whether the youngest ones were all from the Amsterdam hens thought they would have been first to hatch. The ideal hens are lighter feathered and lay lighter eggs. Since the broody hen had eggs from other hens I have no idea who the mothers are. Thanks so much for the information. I haven't seen much of the two chicks under the broody as she keeps them covered pretty much. I'll give her til the end of the week and pull any unhatched eggs.
Thanks again. I've added the sight to my favs for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom