Sex test??

jgcalifornia

Songster
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Sherman, what we all believe to be a male duck, laid an egg a couple days ago. He laid another one today.
Is there a way to confirm his / her sex? Anything I need to know about duck eggs?? Do i leave them there? Take them away?

If Sherman laid a egg than it's a girl. If you want to eat them then you would take them away. Depending on the breed she may go broody on the eggs.

Are they similar to chicken eggs? Would it be the same type of pattern that hens exercise?? I guess what IM asking, is does it work the same way? As far as needing a rooster, "male" duck to fertilize the egg, etc..
thanks for the reply!

Yes they are similar to chicken eggs. If you do not have a drake then your eggs will not be fertile.

A drake im assuming is the duck rooster? So they will not be hatching. How often does she lay? Is it as regular as chickens?
thanks again!

A drake im assuming is the duck rooster? So they will not be hatching. How often does she lay? Is it as regular as chickens?
thanks again!

My ducks lay even more regularly than my chickens. They are egg laying machines!

And if you think good chicken yolks are orange, wait until you see a duck yolk! They make great fried eggs and baked goods.

OMG, i LOVE your duck! Those little gray spots, he / she is SO adorable!
Ya, I am not familiar at all with the duck egg process, honestly, hadnt even thought about it. So many animals I deal with are rescues, so just getting them to "normal" state is my priority...So just take them each day as I do the chicken eggs?
Am not killing anything, right?
Thanks for the reply!

OMG, i LOVE your duck! Those little gray spots, he / she is SO adorable!
Ya, I am not familiar at all with the duck egg process, honestly, hadnt even thought about it. So many animals I deal with are rescues, so just getting them to "normal" state is my priority...So just take them each day as I do the chicken eggs?
Am not killing anything, right?
Thanks for the reply!
Thank you! She's my very favorite duck. :)

Yes, collect the eggs every day and treat them as you would chicken eggs. Duck shells are harder and the inner membrane is tougher, so they say they stay fresh longer than chicken eggs. Since you do not have a drake, your duck eggs are not fertile; no worries about killing ducklings! And actually, if you collect and refrigerate your eggs promptly, you wouldn't have to worry about that even if you had a drake. I have a rooster with my chickens and several drakes with my ducks and enjoy all the eggs with a clear conscience. They never get a chance to develop. :)

Last edited:
OK cool, thank you for telling me that with such confidence. I love your duck so much!! What are the grey spots?
Do you know if a crest on a Pekin has anything to do with sex?
Thanks again!! :)

Back
Top Bottom