Sex this barred rock.

gator75

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2012
Got this one this am. Supposed to be all pullets. Pure yellow legs and erect stance makes me think cockerel. Know it's early, but really want three pullets, not two.

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4806.JPG
    IMG_4806.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4803.JPG
    IMG_4803.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 26
I feel like you can tell with barred rocks. A male's headspot is a more clearer circle and they get straight white barring on their wing feathers soon as they start growing in. Yours looks like a pullet.

I feel like you can tell with barred rocks. A male's headspot is a more clearer circle and they get straight white barring on their wing feathers soon as they start growing in. Yours looks like a pullet.
You're correct; it might not actually be with all BR chicks, but generally you can sex them at a super young age, I believe (though I'm wondering if it works best with one-day olds). :)
Though, if I'm not mistaken, the males have a more 'frosted' colored head spot that is usually larger and more 'scattered' than the female's generally more yellow, smaller, and rounded/more defined head spot. :) Yours does remind me of a cockerel. :p

I hope you post another pic in a week when the wing feathers come in more. I could be mistaken on the head spot, but my males definitely got straight stripes on the wings quick.

Back
Top Bottom