Sex this silkie?

LizaPryor

Hatching
Jul 5, 2022
My daughter acquired this bird from a poultry farm as part of a trio of silkies. Not a straight run -- the proprietor assured her that all three were pullets. I'm increasingly wondering, though, whether this lovely is actually a rooster. I'm uncertain about age, too, which is a complicating factor. And s/he's photo shy, so these pics aren't the best. Still, what do y'all think?

IMG_4652.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4654.jpg
    IMG_4654.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4655.jpg
    IMG_4655.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4657.jpg
    IMG_4657.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4658.jpg
    IMG_4658.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4659.jpg
    IMG_4659.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4661.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 7
Any pictures of the feet ? Silkie make feet are big. Bigger than a females. All my males are bigger. That's how I sexed mine earlier on x

OK, this is "Florence," (the black) standing next to MeeMaw, the pheasant. MeeMaw came from a show breeder and is a delicate little lady. Florence is our suspected rooster. Attached pics of Bean (the smoke) and Matilda (the lavender), who came to us with Florence. All three new birds have huge feet!
IMG_4664.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4665.jpg
    IMG_4665.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 5
Very little difference in comb. None of the four has visible wattles. No one has spurs. So we really only have feathers and behavior to go on, and...we're stumped.

Haha. They are beautiful. Mine were 8 weeks when I sexed them. I already had an idea but I went to ring them for a bit. I could not get the ring around the male silkies legs/foot. It was that big. They are all off now as 11weeks and I can see the male wattles and comb growing.

My daughter acquired this bird from a poultry farm as part of a trio of silkies. Not a straight run -- the proprietor assured her that all three were pullets. I'm increasingly wondering, though, whether this lovely is actually a rooster. I'm uncertain about age, too, which is a complicating factor. And s/he's photo shy, so these pics aren't the best. Still, what do y'all think?

View attachment 3174981
Cockerel

View attachment 3174981
Male

Back
Top Bottom