Sexed pullets- ya right! *PIC HEAVY*

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
i bought 6 chicks as sexed pullets from my local Purina, we made sure they ordered them as sexed pullets. but i've got 3 rooster suspisions

Lacey- nearly 3 weeks old. SLW:
41094_dscn1778.jpg

41094_dscn1783.jpg

41094_dscn1780.jpg

41094_dscn1784.jpg

Olive- Nnearly 3 weeks old. EE: (her feathering has that roostery look for that pattern,; the white at the base of the feathers)
41094_dscn1785.jpg

41094_dscn1787.jpg

Scooter- Month old. RIR ( sorry for blurry pics;she would not stop moving)
41094_dscn1789.jpg

41094_dscn1793.jpg

41094_dscn1795.jpg

41094_dscn1796.jpg

41094_dscn1797.jpg

Please help! we only have room for one rooster

frow.gif
Hey Adam! Well, the pics are blurry, but Scooter looks the most roosterish. Jury is out on the other two, but i'm leaning toward hen for the EE. SLW is just too undefined.
smile.png

to elaborate on the EE, Oliver and my suspision of her being a roo; i'm looking at sexing by feather sexing.

see, according to her wing feathers, i'd expect her to look somewhat like this when grown up (picture is a dorking just to show feather color):
41094_isadoradork.jpg

notice no white on the wings.

now heres the rooster version of this color (picture is another dorking to show feather color):
41094_sgdorkckl.jpg

note white on wings

now, from my studies, it turns out, all chicks of this and similar color patterns of both genders start out like Olives feather pattern. As cockerels age, their wings start getting white over the pattern. this should help some confused people understand my suspision of Olive

ah! Well EE i know have some of the most varied color patterns of any breed. How does his/her comb look? Three row comb means roo, one row usually means hen... hope this helps, amigo!

Quote:
i know

rows of the comb can determine genders? i'll check and see after a while, i'm researching at the moment

Yep, so i've heard. It only works on the pea combed breeds, though, like EE.

I think your EE is a pullet, but regardless, it's far too early to "feather sex". Feathering sexing doesn't mean that every black and white EE is automatically a cockerel. I currently have a few black and white EE pullets! Feather sexing means that blotches of colors, most often red, on the wing areas suggest cockerels, and often those red blotches appear on black and white EEs---but NOT always. There are other colorations that turn out to be cockerels, and frankly, the color patching is more indicative of male feather patterning than is the basic black and white coloring. In other words, it's more about erratic wing coloration than background coloration. Right now, the photo of your EE shows a light partridge pattern, which is usually pullet coloration. In my opinion, the best method of sexing EEs is by looking at the comb, assuming your EE has a peacomb (and most EEs do). The last photo you posted, the RIR, is too blurry to ascertain gender but even with the blurry photo I don't see anything that suggests cockerel.

Last edited:
Quote:
Above stated is true, I have a black and white pullet that most people thought was a roo when it was little, now it still pure black and white, and very much a little girl.

Back
Top Bottom