Sexing 4 week old Muscovy Ducklings: Thoughts?

One more picture 😅

Attachments

• IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Update: I ended up rehoming Cream and Squiggles as there was someone who reached out wondering if they were still available. I was sad to see them go but they are in a good home now and with other ducks. I am keeping Calypso because I believe she may be female. I will continue to post pictures on here.

I could tell the sex of mine because my males would start to Hiss before too old and the females made that pretty trill sound. Hopefully the one you kept turned out to be a female. Mine are so sweet and even my 15 pound drake was sweet but I had to rehome him due to the fact that he was too hard on all of my females.

You have given us a tough task. Please post if you find out the 2 you rehomed are drakes and about Calypso. I'm guessing, guessing, Calypso is hen as her/his legs don't appear as large, usually her tail is pointier, and just has that delicate feminine face. But I didn't win any $$ in Nevada either.

Here's a pic of my 8 day old muscovy ducklings. See 1 that has bright yellow while the others are dull yellow? My 1st batch of 4 blk ducklings are looking to be 3 drake 1 hen, so I ordered these 5. Is it posssible 4 are hens!

The thought of rehoming my white drakes seemed hopeless, but when I asked around a few good homes popped up. Your ducklings are so different than mine and the beauty of 'em astounds me. I enjoyed seeing your babies. The 2nd is the only pic I have of the 4 week olds, a pleasant plus that they eat algae, but you can see the difference; mostly brown and yellow.

Attachments

• Who's Got Color.jpg
    Who's Got Color.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Algae Eaters.jpg
    Algae Eaters.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thank you for your replies! I appreciate it! I’m trying to get experience from all around :) A couple weeks have passed and I am pretty certain that Calypso is female. I had decided to do a little dna test to compare companies as well. Iq bird testing has been wrong 3 times within the past few months for some poultry and waterfowl dna testing so I decided to send some samples to Pollygene. It takes longer to mail it to them but I tend to have the best accuracy with them. They confirmed female this morning and male for the other two! Squiggles and Cream are doing well in their new home though so I’m happy things are working out for everyone.

Your ducklings are very cute!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1031.png
    IMG_1031.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
You have given us a tough task. Please post if you find out the 2 you rehomed are drakes and about Calypso. I'm guessing, guessing, Calypso is hen as her/his legs don't appear as large, usually her tail is pointier, and just has that delicate feminine face. But I didn't win any $$ in Nevada either.

Here's a pic of my 8 day old muscovy ducklings. See 1 that has bright yellow while the others are dull yellow? My 1st batch of 4 blk ducklings are looking to be 3 drake 1 hen, so I ordered these 5. Is it posssible 4 are hens!

The thought of rehoming my white drakes seemed hopeless, but when I asked around a few good homes popped up. Your ducklings are so different than mine and the beauty of 'em astounds me. I enjoyed seeing your babies. The 2nd is the only pic I have of the 4 week olds, a pleasant plus that they eat algae, but you can see the difference; mostly brown and yellow.
That is great that they can eat the algae!!! I always thought that would make them sick or kill them. I am constantly scrubbing my ducks buckets to get rid of it daily. Your ducks are beautiful!!!

Thank you. That makes me feel better. I would hate to have to get rid of them all just because they are boys.

I found the odds weird as well. Maybe they are a species that is more difficult to accurately dna test? Or maybe I have bad luck😅

I had been attempting to hatch some Anconas but unfortunately most of the eggs had fully developed but died before hatch. I’m assuming wet embryo due to maybe too high of humidity. I only had one Ancona hatch (another male) and needed to find him friends of the same age. One of my moms friends found out her Muscovy had 10 ducklings hatch that week and was surprised to see them running around the yard. She was trying to get rid of some so I took three in hopes some were female and could keep my Ancona company. Everyone was male. She offered to take back the males if I didn’t want them and she would raise them to eat. I have a problem eating the animals I name and raise though so I really didn’t want to send them away only to be killed. I’m fine with eating meat as long as I’m not the one raising the animal 😅
Same I can't eat Rabbits, Guinea pigs, Ducks or Iguanas because I have them as pets.

Back
Top Bottom