Sexing 5 week old Orpingtons - PICS ADDED

MydearWatson

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
CT
I want to try and sex my Orps as soon as possible since the breeder has agreed to take them if there are any Roos. If I have to part with any, I want to do it sooner rather than later, Im seriously attached to those little babies!!

My question is, when trying to sex Orps, which is most important" Comb size/color, wattle size/color, leg size, feathering speed, behaviour (more afraid vs. seeks out trouble, more agressive, etc)...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Quote:
IMO all the above. You've hit on the majority of things we all look at to determine, picture quality would be another when submitting for others to weigh in, if you have some in question we'll be glad to make our best guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offers to help!!

I have three orps, one Blue, two Black. The Black one in the center is small and I am almost positive shes a hen. The other two I have my suspicions.

IMG_1889.jpg

My Blue is feathering exactly like my suspected hen, same pace, same places, everything. But then there are the wattles and comb... they aren't as red as they look in the pic. They are more of a pinkish-orange. they are bigger and more round now (this pic was a few days ago). It's mother was very large and this one is my biggest. It spars often with my larger Black but often loses and is quite a scardy-cat.
IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

My Black is my most dominant and confident chicken. It is feathering much slower than the other two Orps.

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

And like I said, I am pretty confident the third Orp is a hen. Right now she has a tiny blackish comb and the very beginnings of wattles, which I dont have a pic of.

The Orps are the three to the right:
IMG_1799.jpg

Thank you SO much for your help.

Last edited:
Curious about this as well...I am possibly going to pick up a buff orp from a lady in my area but she is not quite sure of the sex, I'd love to know what I should be looking for so I can avoid getting a roo
hmm.png

Last edited:
I am really curious too!
lol.png
I posted pics a while ago on the Raising Chicks thread and everyone said the Blue is a roo. But I'm holding out hope that it isn't because I've heard lots of stories about girls with big wattles and combs. I'm hoping to get some Orp experts to weigh in.
big_smile.png

I saw this thread and can totally relate... I am seriously attached too ~ my little "sisters" are 3 week old Orpingtons.
If anyone has seen chicks mature this differently and still actually both be hens, please let me know to give me hope
tongue.png

My favorite spoiled little Beauty may be a Beauford
sad.png
I knew there was a chance for a roo or two, but didn't want it to be my favorite!
On a good note, each of ours are really great
smile.png

Beauty:
85907_june_02_2011_010.jpg

The little sister, Blackie for comparison:
85907_june_02_2011_003.jpg

Last edited:
Beauty- Gonna have to say roo.
Blackie- Pullet.

In the first set of pics-
The first Orp in the first pic looks roo-ish to me.
All of the rest look like pullets to me.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom