Sexing 6-7 week khaki Campbells. Please tell me I'm wrong 😩

fatedfaithfulfatal

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
I hope I'm wrong but I think all four of my unsexed khaki campbells are looking like boys.

Dark overall
Darker heads
Dark beaks
Orange tint to the legs

Please tell me I'm wrong. I love them but I was not wanting a bachelor flock. I wanted eggs.
IMG_1103.jpeg
IMG_1105.jpeg

You might be wrong :fl. I have had really dark females whose legs got more orange before they started laying. The one in the front right of your photo is definitely a drake. I can tell from the solid colored feathers above his tail. I have only every had drakes have that (see picture below). Females get two-toned, lighter feathers above their tales.
IMG_1272.jpg

The other three are harder to tell from the photos but I think back left is also a drake. The other two I can't tell from their body angles. Watch their bill color, too. Drake's bills turn bluish green and hens go pinkish and then dark brown. And I am sure you know to listen for quacks. Only girls give nice real quacks. Boys sound like they lost their voices and sorta go wap, wap. Maybe their is a girl or two hiding in there.

Did you per chance buy them at Tractor Supply? I ask because they buy their ducklings from a hatchery that sells sexed-ducklings. So, if more people order female ducklings of the egg-laying breeds from the hatchery, it stands to reason that more boys end up in the mixed bin at Tractor Supply.

You might be wrong :fl. I have had really dark females whose legs got more orange before they started laying. The one in the front right of your photo is definitely a drake. I can tell from the solid colored feathers above his tail. I have only every had drakes have that (see picture below). Females get two-toned, lighter feathers above their tales.
View attachment 3523344
The other three are harder to tell from the photos but I think back left is also a drake. The other two I can't tell from their body angles. Watch their bill color, too. Drake's bills turn bluish green and hens go pinkish and then dark brown. And I am sure you know to listen for quacks. Only girls give nice real quacks. Boys sound like they lost their voices and sorta go wap, wap. Maybe their is a girl or two hiding in there.

Did you per chance buy them at Tractor Supply? I ask because they buy their ducklings from a hatchery that sells sexed-ducklings. So, if more people order female ducklings of the egg-laying breeds from the hatchery, it stands to reason that more boys end up in the mixed bin at Tractor Supply.
Going by the tail feathers, I think you’re right. I’ve got two definite males and one definite female. The other I’m not sure. It’s the smallest and the little extra color on the feathers is there but barely and might just be because they’re not grown fully yet? I’ll try to get some more pictures at some point soon.

Going by the tail feathers, I think you’re right. I’ve got two definite males and one definite female. The other I’m not sure. It’s the smallest and the little extra color on the feathers is there but barely and might just be because they’re not grown fully yet? I’ll try to get some more pictures at some point soon.
Yay, at least it isn't all boys. Hopefully the little one will be a girl too.

Back
Top Bottom