Sexing 8 week olds

whathacluck

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Hello, I am cross posting this from [Newbie with some pics of coop] thread. Here are our pets

This is Ruby our RIR pullet at 8weeks old
13490_101_4190.jpg

This is Goldielocks our 7 week old Buff Orpington pullet
13490_101_4193.jpg

Rockette a Barred rock pullet 8 weeks old
13490_101_4207.jpg

And last but certainly not least is our 8 week old WC Black Polish roo Elvis formally known as Fancy because he used to be a she LOL.
13490_101_4191.jpg

Does anyone think different about the sex of these chicks if so please speak up. Thanks

Maybe a side shot would be better. I asked because the tophat looks a bit poofy and not so much pointy feathers. It looks more hen to me.
hmm.png
Then again, I can't see it's tail or saddle feathers.

Shellie, I'll take and post a better pic tomorrow. His tail feathers are always pointing up, very skiddish, always either first or last in line and on roost never in the middle and will push the RIR all the way to the far wall to exclude her, she seems to be on the bottom of the pecking order and is the easiest to handle very easy really. Thanks for responding.

Quote:
Hello, Well i'm a newbie so not sure but Elvis started showing wattle growth at 6 1/2 weeks the other 3 still have'nt at 8 weeks old, but the polish is and odd breed so i'm still wondering if he is a he.

You got the sexes right, but I am not 100% on the polish. I agree it kinda looks to be a hen to me. The last pic, is the wind blowing or was she moving? The back of her head looks flat like she turned her head fast or something or wind coming up from behind....

Back
Top Bottom