sexing A&M

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
mine are over 3 weeks old is there any way to sex them? I want to limit my roos if possible. I googed it and did a byc search but could not fing anything on it, except someone asking the same question on a different forum with no responce
roll.png

thanks

sadly if you aren't good at vent sexing you gotta wait until they are crowing and laying eggs. Which I know sounds annoying but it's not all that bad.

Once you hear crowing, take out the bird you see crowing if you can find it. If you can't take out each bird and flip them over, if hte vent looks swollen (i mean swollen like infection) push in on that area, if a white foam comes out that's a roo. If you flip and theres just a normal vent that's a hen.
smile.png
It shows it well on my coturnix education forum thing if you'd like to recheck that.
smile.png

Roos will start crowing anywhere from 3 1/2 weeks on tho 5-6 weeks is more normal. They will ONLY crow if under 14 hours of light a day.

A MAN TOLD ME THE OTHER DAY THAT HIS GRANNY TOLD HIM WHEN HE WAS LITTLE ,THAT IF YOU HOLD A CHICK UP CLOSE TO ITS HEAD AND IT KEEPS ITS LEGS STRAIGHT DOWN IT IS A HEN ,IF ITS LEGS ARE KICKING AND MOVEING AROUND IT IS A ROO.HE SAYS IT WORKS EVERY TIME .

Quote:
sorry but that's an old wives tale, my roos kick the crap out of me all the time when i hold them as does my hens.

Tho i do notice that hens in any species chicken or quail thte hens seem to be the loud mouth whiners lol!

I must be tired today... what is A&M? Nevermind... I see in the sig line above... some color of Quail.right?

Last edited:
Quote:
lol question, was most males? Because if so, that's the norm ratio
smile.png
Sorry i just cant agree with that leg thing. Tho just to proove it wrong I think im going to test my chciken chicks that i've already vent sexed and see.
smile.png
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom