Sexing Adult Geese (American Buffs)

EeyoreD

Songster
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Attica, MI
I purchased 7 American Buff geese this spring. Sadly, though they did go broody, somehow they destroyed/ate/otherwise lost their eggs so no new babies.

That said, I was told the geese were a breeding group but one of them seems to be having problems with both... knees (do geese have knees)? It gets around but it's clearly having problems keeping it's neck clean and stuff because its legs give out when it puts weight on just one of them.

I've realized that it would probably be a good idea to sex these things and try to figure out who is who (because I can't tell from looking at the things) and possibly keep an eye on this one and maybe cull.

Course if he's the only male (though I was told there was more than one), then that's going to screw up my breeding group. But I don't even know if he can breed with his knees like this. That problem aside - how do you sex adult geese (aside from "very carefully - they're not mean mean but dang are they fiesty)

As additional information - I'm new to birds and have never sexed anything before... ever.

Thanks!

I purchased 7 American Buff geese this spring. Sadly, though they did go broody, somehow they destroyed/ate/otherwise lost their eggs so no new babies.

That said, I was told the geese were a breeding group but one of them seems to be having problems with both... knees (do geese have knees)? It gets around but it's clearly having problems keeping it's neck clean and stuff because its legs give out when it puts weight on just one of them.

I've realized that it would probably be a good idea to sex these things and try to figure out who is who (because I can't tell from looking at the things) and possibly keep an eye on this one and maybe cull.

Course if he's the only male (though I was told there was more than one), then that's going to screw up my breeding group. But I don't even know if he can breed with his knees like this. That problem aside - how do you sex adult geese (aside from "very carefully - they're not mean mean but dang are they fiesty)

As additional information - I'm new to birds and have never sexed anything before... ever.

Thanks!
I know you are saying adults here but have you tried adding brewers yeast or niacin to his/her feed/water?

Grab it by the base of the wings and pin it to the ground. Grab the head and tuck it under one of the wings and pick it up with the wings contained. It may struggle a bit but most geese will settle down. Sit down with the goose between your thighs with it`s belly facing yours and it`s business end up in the air. Use your legs to keep the wings under control. This gives you full use of your hands. Push back the tail feathers. This helps considerably. Now the tricky part. With your thumbs and fingers pull the vent down and out. This will open up the cloaca if it`s done right. It does take some practice so don`t expect the goose to open up on the first try. If it`s an adult male the penis will pop out. If the goose is out of control or you can`t get it to open up for you after a few attempts, forget about it. The secret really is to keep that head tucked under a wing and the wings pinned to it`s body.

Miss Lydia, - the brewers yeast helps with the lameness?
Grab it by the base of the wings and pin it to the ground. Grab the head and tuck it under one of the wings and pick it up with the wings contained. It may struggle a bit but most geese will settle down. Sit down with the goose between your thighs with it`s belly facing yours and it`s business end up in the air. Use your legs to keep the wings under control. This gives you full use of your hands. Push back the tail feathers. This helps considerably. Now the tricky part. With your thumbs and fingers pull the vent down and out. This will open up the cloaca if it`s done right. It does take some practice so don`t expect the goose to open up on the first try. If it`s an adult male the penis will pop out. If the goose is out of control or you can`t get it to open up for you after a few attempts, forget about it. The secret really is to keep that head tucked under a wing and the wings pinned to it`s body.

Winisk, thank you so much for the detailed description!

Last edited:
Vent sexing adult geese isnt as simple as the description makes it sound. It is pretty simple on young goslings, as they become older though they become increasingly hard to properly vent sex without cause harm or injury to the bird.

Brewers yeast and or niacin help with leg issues in ducklings and goslings.

Geez...why hasn't somebody addressed the real issue here?

Eeyore, have you checked for bumblefoot? Are these geese on grass? What are you feeding them? And lastly, why don't you take the hurt goose to a vet or try to find someone with more experience locally to look at the poor thing?

Breeding or sexing a hurt goose should be the last thing on your mind.

(forgive me if I missed something--it' possible)

Words fail to describe fully how to sex a goose. My description is basic and a novice will undoubtedly encounter difficulties. It is a start for the brave curious soul out there. There is nothing like learning from experience. I`ve heard it said before that it`s difficult sexing an adult goose with a chance of injury but honestly I`ve sexed thousands of them and trained complete rookies to sex them in an afternoon. I have yet to see a goose get injured in the process. They are durable creatures as you know. I can imagine a person injurying it while struggling to control a goose, causing a broken wing or dislocated leg or something but that`s a handling problem, not a sexing issue. Younger birds certainly are easier to handle and they do open up much easier but unless you know what to look for it can also confuse the novice. There is no mistaking an adult male and if done right is rather easy and quick. I should try to find a video and put a link on here somehow. Perhaps other have a different experience from mine.

Back
Top Bottom