Sexing almost 6wk old Easter Eggers

Edsapjkr04

In the Brooder
May 15, 2021
My family is new to the chicken world this year. Our flock is a mix of girls including these 2 EE. We were told that they thought they were both pullets when we recieved them but based on other people's comments we are starting to wonder if one isn't a Rooster. Can anyone help us out based on the comb? Thanks in advance!
0515212148b.jpg
0515212145a.jpg

My family is new to the chicken world this year. Our flock is a mix of girls including these 2 EE. We were told that they thought they were both pullets when we recieved them but based on other people's comments we are starting to wonder if one isn't a Rooster. Can anyone help us out based on the comb? Thanks in advance! View attachment 2671693View attachment 2671695
Looks like a rooster, but I would wait 2 more weeks when they are fully 7 weeks

Are you going to keep them? I have a feeling they are definitely cockerels, my EEs at that age had practically no comb growth...
We have decided what we will do. I'm leaning towards we will most likely get rid of them but not 100% sure. It's a bummer. The solid grey one is actually pretty sweet.

We have decided what we will do. I'm leaning towards we will most likely get rid of them but not 100% sure. It's a bummer. The solid grey one is actually pretty sweet.
Typically roosters are all pretty friendly until they get hormones, then they may become monsters

Typically roosters are all pretty friendly until they get hormones, then they may become monsters
That's what I have heard! My SIL had one rooster and it was awful and would just come attack you. So I am sure if they are, we will get rid of them since our daughter is younger and likes helping with them. Plus I'm not sure I want to deal with eggs possibly beimg fertilized and that whole process yet or maybe ever.

That's what I have heard! My SIL had one rooster and it was awful and would just come attack you. So I am sure if they are, we will get rid of them since our daughter is younger and likes helping with them. Plus I'm not sure I want to deal with eggs possibly beimg fertilized and that whole process yet or maybe ever.

What is you’re problem with fertilised eggs ?
Imho there are no problems, you can eat them just as wel as unfertilised eggs. They have only an advantage. If you have a broody or an incubator you can raise you’re own chicks.

I would have a problem with the seller though. If I bought guaranteed hens, paid a higher price because bc they are hens and only want hens , I would return the cockerels (if they really are cockerels) and demand hens or my money back.

If you like to keep a rooster you need to show him you’re the boss. Make him ‘small’ by holding him daily. But do be carefull with kids if he shows signs of aggression (discard him or get him down permanently). Some roosters are awesome and some turn into mean creatures. But especially if you don’t know the ancestors you can’t forecast his behaviour.

What is you’re problem with fertilised eggs ?
Imho there are no problems, you can eat them just as wel as unfertilised eggs. They have only an advantage. If you have a broody or an incubator you can raise you’re own chicks.

I would have a problem with the seller though. If I bought guaranteed hens, paid a higher price because bc they are hens and only want hens , I would return the cockerels (if they really are cockerels) and demand hens or my money back.

If you like to keep a rooster you need to show him you’re the boss. Make him ‘small’ by holding him daily. But do be carefull with kids if he shows signs of aggression (discard him or get him down permanently). Some roosters are awesome and some turn into mean creatures. But especially if you don’t know the ancestors you can’t forecast his behaviour.
Thank you. We are still learning so I guess the fertilized egg situation wouldn't be as bad. I was unaware you could still eat them. Since I never read up on that process as much because I was anticipating only having hens. We have been holding our prospect Rooster daily and he seems ok now but I know that can change as he grows. I will be calling where we got them though. We did pay more for all pullets. Thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom