Sexing at hatch - I can't believe this (sad update)

galanie

Treat Dispenser No More
13 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Ruffin, NC
So what do you think, orpington here, boy or girl? :lol: I've seen wattles show up at a week, but never at hatch!

Last edited:
ep.gif

And look at the comb on that chick!!!!!

You'll definitely have to update this thread to see if it ends up playing out to be a rooster.

I will. And I'll try to get a picture on this rainy ugly day. It's out with a broody that just hatched another chick now. Since it's dried out the comb doesn't look as big nor can you see the wattles but we know they're there. It will truly be interesting to see how this chick grows.

Here's a couple pics I got this morning. My camera is cheap so it's really hard to get good closeups, sorry for the blurriness. With his week old "sister" If you're wondering, the hen was buff and the rooster splash. I expected a strange color but didn't expect the "buff" part or his beak to be so red.

Last edited:
Sad news. I found it dead in the nest at 3 days of age. :hit

The broody accepted it as her own but seemed rather indifferent towards it. Maybe she detected something. I know that it looked strong and healthy but cried and wasn't interested in eating or drinking. All it seemed to do when momma was up was cry. And it wasn't steady on it's feet, even at 2 days old when it should have been running around. So I guess "he" just wasn't a healthy chick.

Back
Top Bottom