Sexing baby bantam cochins: any color influence?

mercuhrio

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2021
Has anyone come across with different feather development in different color patterns of the same breed?

I recently got many day old bantam cochin chicks from a hatchery (they are all between 7 and 8 days old right now). They are partridge, birchen, red and barred. This is not my first time raising bantam cochins and I've always gotten 100% sexing accuracy with my guesses by using the feather development analysis as shown in the picture. Back to my current babies, regarding partridge, red and birchen, I have absolute confidence about their sexes. But the barred ones look suspiciously ALL MALES, which is pretty odd, considering that I got ten of them! They all show that classic L shaped, very short wing and their bodies look considerably smaller than the other colors. So I've been trying to be hopeful that at least one of them can still turn out to be a girl. Has anyone had any related experience?

Thanks!

Attachments

• cc29beec328aef5e2f429c44560dae16.jpg
    cc29beec328aef5e2f429c44560dae16.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Has anyone come across with different feather development in different color patterns of the same breed?

I recently got many day old bantam cochin chicks from a hatchery (they are all between 7 and 8 days old right now). They are partridge, birchen, red and barred. This is not my first time raising bantam cochins and I've always gotten 100% sexing accuracy with my guesses by using the feather development analysis as shown in the picture. Back to my current babies, regarding partridge, red and birchen, I have absolute confidence about their sexes. But the barred ones look suspiciously all males, which is pretty odd, considering I got ten of them! They all show that classic L shaped wing and their bodies look considerably smaller than the other colors. So I've been trying to be hopeful that at least one of them can still turn out to be a girl.

Thanks everyone!
You seem like a pro, thanks for that diagram at the bottom, very well done. :)

I do not specialize in genetics or chochins, my sister has cochins though.

Genectics would be @JacinLarkwell's thing.

I recently got many day old bantam cochin chicks from a hatchery (they are all between 7 and 8 days old right now). They are partridge, birchen, red and barred. This is not my first time raising bantam cochins and I've always gotten 100% sexing accuracy with my guesses by using the feather development analysis as shown in the picture. Back to my current babies, regarding partridge, red and birchen, I have absolute confidence about their sexes. But the barred ones look suspiciously ALL MALES, which is pretty odd, considering that I got ten of them! They all show that classic L shaped, very short wing and their bodies look considerably smaller than the other colors. So I've been trying to be hopeful that at least one of them can still turn out to be a girl. Has anyone had any related experience?

Thanks!
Pictures? I don't ever use feather growth for sexing. Don't find it reliable

Pictures? I don't ever use feather growth for sexing. Don't find it reliable
Thanks for the reply, but are we both talking bantam cochins? This method is VERY specific for them and I believe it won't work even for LF cochins or bantam brahmas. I've sexes two dozens bantam c. in the past by this method and it was right on every single time. But I'll be happy to post a couple pictures, if you feel you can help! :) What details are you looking into, so I can deliver optimal photos?

Thank you!

I would not rely on feather sexing. Having feather sexable chicks is not something that can be passed from generation to generation, much like in the case of red and black sex links.

I would not rely on feather sexing. Having feather sexable chicks is not something that can be passed from generation to generation, much like in the case of red and black sex links.
Again, are we both talking bantam cochins? I don't use feather sexing for any other breed.

Thanks for the reply, but are we both talking bantam cochins? This method is VERY specific for them and I believe it won't work even for LF cochins or bantam brahmas. I've sexes two dozens bantam c. in the past by this method and it was right on every single time. But I'll be happy to post a couple pictures, if you feel you can help! :) What details are you looking into, so I can deliver optimal photos?

Thank you!
Yes. I dont feather sex any breeds like that and I raised quite a few BCs this spring. I need pictures of the barring pattern on the wings like this.
20210314_163820.jpg
20210314_163732.jpg

Back
Top Bottom