Sexing bantam orps - added PICS

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
I have been around single comb chickens a long time (including bantams) and know those little combs get red and grow quickly when they are boys. Are bantam orps any different? I have 2 that are about 9 weeks old now and the combs are not growing. We (the seller and I) were thinking they were both cockerels, but I'm not so sure. Can anyone advise what their experience has been with single comb bantams?

I know, I need to post pics - but just looking for insight right now and will try to get pics of them today. Could I have 2 girls?

Updated with PICS..

Here is bantam #1
100_5729.jpg

100_5731.jpg

And bantam #2
100_5732.jpg

#2 peaking on the left side of pic:
100_5730.jpg

And large fowl for comparison (same age) (please excuse the sun glare):

100_5733.jpg

100_5734.jpg

100_5739.jpg

Jody

Last edited:
jody, i thinks you have two pullets. and the araucanas in the background make me SICK! you're birds look great, and i've been wanting to get eggs fronm you but i'm afraid it's too far. but my vote says two girls!

Oh boy..that's what I was afraid of. It's ok. I had another breeder contact me and offer me some, so I will get a pair or trio and add them to these guys. I really need the boy more than anything.

Thanks for you comment on my araucana. lol I'm sorry they made you sick. hehe I do ship a lot of eggs..some with good results and some not. They're tough to hatch to begin with, so it really can go either way. I'll be offering up some started pairs soon. I went a little overboard on hatching this season.

Jody

Okay found the picture
smile.png

bantamOrp.jpg

A lot of the bantam Orps still have the larger combs instead of a medium comb. It is as apparent as your LF in the bantams too.

Thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts.

Christina, that's exactly what I was thinking which was making me doubt they were boys. Ah well, off to try again. Thanks for your help and the pic.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom