Sexing bantam welsummers

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I just set the eggs in the incubator, so no chicks yet. But I was wondering whether batam welsummers are sexable at hatch by their patterning like the regular welsummers?

I just set the eggs in the incubator, so no chicks yet. But I was wondering whether batam welsummers are sexable at hatch by their patterning like the regular welsummers?

You can’t autosex welsummer chicks.

Last edited:
yes they should be but I've never hatched any myself.
Am I missing something? Welsummers aren’t autosexing, I don’t believe.
I looked it up and only saw a few people talking about the stripes, and it didn’t sound very accurate.
But if you can do that, yes, it should be the same for bantams.

Last edited:
I know people sometimes try to tell with the patterning, but that’s not accurate. Chicks from different sources will have differences in patterns… the thickness of a line isn’t the same as going off of head spots or something.

I know people sometimes try to tell with the patterning, but that’s not accurate. Chicks from different sources will have differences in patterns… the thickness of a line isn’t the same as going off of head spots or something.
ah, thanks for the insight. I kept reading about sexing welsummers via their patterning, so i thought they were somewhat auto sexing. I guess you can't believe everything you read on here :oops:

Male on top. Female on bottom.
Check for more well defined pattern on females. Note eye stripe, head triangle and body stripes.
It works better with some lines of welsummer then others. It's overall not super accurate because some chicks can look kind of in between.
Best situation is picking females from large numbers like from a feed store bin.
Sexing+Welsummers-550w.JPG

Back
Top Bottom