Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Here's my BR named Wheezy (short for Eloise, but we always call her Wheezy). Sure hope she's a "she" as she's everyone's favorite out of the 5 chicks we have. :). Best guess is she's about 6 weeks old (does that look about right?) as we forgot to ask how old the chicks were when we got them. :)

So...is she a "she"??

Here's my BR named Wheezy (short for Eloise, but we always call her Wheezy). Sure hope she's a "she" as she's everyone's favorite out of the 5 chicks we have. :). Best guess is she's about 6 weeks old (does that look about right?) as we forgot to ask how old the chicks were when we got them. :)

So...is she a "she"??

Wheezy looks just like my Barabara when she was 6 weeks old, nothing like my Barry :)

Last edited:
Got a 3-4 week old barred rock today. I tried to remember everything! Did I do okay and pick a pullet?

same chick in both pictures.

For anyone wanting to compare Barred Rock cockerels at different stages...here are pics of my boy 'Barry' at 3, 6, 9, and 12 weeks.

Barry at 3 weeks, if you click on the picture to make it bigger you can see he has quite the defined comb already and it goes further back on his head then his sister. His comb went further back than his eyes, while hers stayed equal to or more forward than her eyes.

Here you see Barry eating the watermelon with a bigger and redder comb at 6 weeks (compare to Barbara also in the picture with a small pale comb.)

Here is a close up of Barry at 9 weeks. Very obviously a cockerel here.

And here is Barry at 12 weeks...All boy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom