Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
My main concern was her feathers not being where they should, for her age. But She also doesn't look as "muddy" as the other pullets here, as you can see from that wide, stark stripe across her wing feathers.

The reason I asked so soon was because it's very, very hard to get chicks where I'm at. In the next 2-3 weeks, our farm supply will no longer be selling them, and they can't *ship just one, so if it turns out to be a roo, we'd have to wait until next summer to have our flock of six, is all :) I understand nothing is full proof, but again I am mostly concerned that she still looks very fluffy for someone almost 4 weeks old, when most of the pics on here show 4 weekers with a full cover of feathers!

Last edited:
I had think one of my chickens might be a rooster bit I am not sure. They are about 18 weeks. I haven't got any eggs yet and a couple weeks ago I heard crows. Both have similar combs but there tail feathers are different. Any guesses?

[/IMG][/IMG]

The first two images are not visible...judging by the third I would say the one on the left is a rooster and the other is a pullet.

My main concern was her feathers not being where they should, for her age. But She also doesn't look as "muddy" as the other pullets here, as you can see from that wide, stark stripe across her wing feathers.

The reason I asked so soon was because it's very, very hard to get chicks where I'm at. In the next 2-3 weeks, our farm supply will no longer be selling them, and they can't *ship just one, so if it turns out to be a roo, we'd have to wait until next summer to have our flock of six, is all :) I understand nothing is full proof, but again I am mostly concerned that she still looks very fluffy for someone almost 4 weeks old, when most of the pics on here show 4 weekers with a full cover of feathers!

Mine still had fluff at that age too.
[in this image they are 3 weeks old]

Heck, they still had tufts of fluff on their heads until they were almost 6 weeks old, lol.

Last edited:
After reading through these, I am a bit confused on my barred rock. Here are some pictures:

This one is at 6 weeks:

It's hard to tell how red the comb is because of the red heating lamp. I didn't know to watch for the color when she was that age, so I don't remember how pink it was. The thing that worries me most is the fact that she seems to have already been sprouting some small wattles at that age.

And here's one from 14 weeks:

The coloring looks like a pullet to me, but those wattles--what do you all think?

After reading through these, I am a bit confused on my barred rock. Here are some pictures: This one is at 6 weeks: It's hard to tell how red the comb is because of the red heating lamp. I didn't know to watch for the color when she was that age, so I don't remember how pink it was. The thing that worries me most is the fact that she seems to have already been sprouting some small wattles at that age. And here's one from 14 weeks: The coloring looks like a pullet to me, but those wattles--what do you all think?
It's a pullet. It's not so much the colr as it is the size of the comb. At a young age the males comb really grows rapidly.

I know I posted a few months ago & people said roo, here's the bird @ 16 weeks. Haven't heard any crowing yet. Tell me what you think.

Back
Top Bottom