Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
@Brookshire11 yeah, it's that comb that's got me worried. that and the fact that frankie is the bossiest chick in the bunch, and spends a good chunk of the day reigning terror over my other two chicks.

All of this is making my head implode..lol.
This is bugging me. Everyone seems to have a different ways of doing the same thing and I think that's awesome, but it needs to come down to the same means. I feather sexed these at fluff and found 3 cockerels. In my learning, mind you I had no idea of the breed, I was told they would be a variety, well, not. I got a variety of BR's and a leghorn. I was hoping the grays would have been Marans, but was already told in another thread they were more than likely all BR's. Can someone please tell me if my thimble of knowledge was correct in the sexing of the cockerels?

Ok, I ordered all females from Murray McMurray, they are 6 weeks old now and after reading a lot of this thread I am very confused, do I have way more boys than I bargained for or just some really pink combed girls? If you need more pictures I will try to get them.

They look like all girls based on the leg wash and the combs. I have one that similar at 5 weeks and everyone swears its a girl...and she has no wattles and a pinkish comb. #2 might be questionable...but the others look like girls. I am not an expert by any means...just learning but have read up a lot on sexing the barred rock. Hope they all turn out to be gorgeous girls!!!

They look like all girls based on the leg wash and the combs.   I have one that similar at 5 weeks and everyone swears its a girl...and she has no wattles and a pinkish comb.   #2 might be questionable...but the others look like girls.  I am not an expert by any means...just learning but have read up a lot on sexing the barred rock.  Hope they all turn out to be gorgeous girls!!!

The one in the fourth picture is a cockerel because of the bigger comb and its more red then the others. The rest look like pullets to me.

The one in the fourth picture is a cockerel because of the bigger comb and its more red then the others. The rest look like pullets to me.

I do not agree with the assessment just because of the comb size and color. The color of the bird itself tells me so much more. Cockerels come in with a whole lot more white. This one seems awful dark to be a boy. I still would say they are all girls.

I do not agree with the assessment just because of the comb size and color. The color of the bird itself tells me so much more. Cockerels come in with a whole lot more white. This one seems awful dark to be a boy. I still would say they are all girls.
Yes I agree with that as well... I used the color of mine also to try to determine the sex along with comb and wattle. The coloring all have a very similar coloring to mine which also leads me to believe they are all girls. I only question the #2 from the wattle but that is probably an female developing faster than the others. Good point soukilee93

I need to take pictures of mine. I have five BR juveniles. Hatched May 1st. Now, I have some of the five that are lighter....with much more white. The rest are darker. I also have 2 of the darker ones with very red combs. Confusing. So that leaves me looking at the legs etc. Legs, stance, combs, coloring. I think I might have 2 of the 5 that are possibly females.
So much for going by coloring only.
sad.png

Okay, so by my pics I posted, I can pretty much get rid of the lighter ones as Cockerels, and not be worried I'm keeping them as pulletts?:/

Back
Top Bottom